Sunday, March 31, 2013

 

The coldest Easter picnic ever!

"I don't know how it is, Christopher Robin, but what
with all this snow and one thing and another, not to mention
icicles and such-like, it isn't so Hot in my field about three
o'clock in the morning as some people think it is. It isn't
Close, if you know what I mean--not so as to be uncomfortable.
It isn't Stuffy. In fact, Christopher Robin," he went on in a
loud whisper, "quite-between-ourselves-and- don't-tell-anybody,
it's Cold."

These words eased themselves into my head during the afternoon......not 3 o'clock in the morning, but 3 o'clock in the afternoon.
By mid afternoon I am not sure how coherent thoughts were found in my brain!
We had been sitting outdoors in the icy wind since 11 o'clock.
Not only was the meeting not cancelled (well, of course it never would have been), but it was the best attended for quite some while.
There were six of us....a couple more than I had dared to hope for. That was good, for it allowed the chance for people to wander off for a hot drink or maybe just go somewhere to get warm.
Of course we had dressed very appropriately for the weather.
Our son, cheerfully announces that there is no such thing as bad weather - only wrong clothes. It's all very well to say that from your home in tropical Thailand!



Here is Donna.
We worked together; despite the cold she stayed alert and was timekeeping at a high standard.

She was well covered with many layers.
I think I had more layers on my legs than she did.....long socks, walking socks, leggings, cord trousers and windproof trousers.
We both had blankets wrapped round us too.
I wish I had though of a scarf to protect the face.































"In your Easter bonnet, with all the frills upon it,
You’ll be the grandest lady in the Easter parade."

So we worked through all the age groups 9 year olds to over 70 year old.
From 60 metres to 3,000 metres.
We did it well.
One of the club members received an email.......

I've just competed at your open meeting today and just wanted to say how well run it was. Myself and the other Reading AC athletes thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and wanted to pass our thanks on to all those concerned.

In fact we were enjoyed the day.  We got through it with our usual friendly banter and insults!

Somehow, suffering amongst friends doesn't feel so very bad.

But once back in the car, I began to shiver and my body tensed up.

This evening I have dozed a bit....and will be glad to get to bed.

The news tells us it has been the coldest Easter for 50 years.