Sunday, March 24, 2013

 

Fontwell and cobbling.

It was cold!
Snow flakes were falling lightly as we left home this morning.
But that was OK, we thought, we were off to an indoor venue.
The South Downs were shrouded as we drove south - shrouded in mist, cloud or very light snow fall? I don't know; but they had an eerie beauty.
We arrived at Fontwell horse racing track at about half past nine. We were not intending to stand outdoors to watch horses gallop by - though one day I would like to.
We paid our money to enter....and what did we see?
Stalls outside! I was not dressed for stalls outside!
We had a quick trip round them - couldn't resist, and then headed to the inside room under the main grandstand.
It wasn't so very warm in there either.
We bought a toffee tin and a model car in there.
Back outdoors again to scurry to a room under another stand.
I knew one of the dealers in there - Carol had been a seller in the Ardingly Rocking Horse shop.
I didn't buy from her - but bought a lot from the stall next door.
I almost felt embarrassed to buy at their low prices......but that was their choice.
I bought 10 items for £32 - I didn't have the heart to haggle and knock them down to £30.


As you can see, I bought several items of barge art.
Not the best examples of the art form, I will agree.
But the items will prove to be decorative in the kitchens of some.
The woman selling told us that her father had done the work.
























Among the items were 3 shoe lasts of various sizes.
They are both decorative and useful....useful as door stops maybe.

Both Bill and I have connections with the shoe repairing trade.
His father learned the trade in the army during the second world war.
In fact when he was demobbed, the army were ready to set him up in a small business in Norfolk.
He declined.....wanting nothing more than the familiarity of his own Crawley/ Charlwood environment.
He continued to repair shoes for the large extended family.
My grandfather was also a cobbler.
Having taken refuge in Tunbridge Wells - to escape the bombardment of Sussex coastal towns during the war, he stayed on and set up a small business repairing shoes off Grosvenor Road.








































My Grandad, cobbling.

We paid for the purchases and left them with the stall holder and went to see what was for sale in the marquee.
That was the warmest place to be.
There were heaters.
But we didn't buy anything there.
The fair was a good one - and I look forward to going again. Dressed more appropriately for the weather.
That could mean cotton dress and sandals, next time.....what a dream!

It had been my plan to sit with a cup of tea in the grandstand, chatting with other buyers maybe.
But it felt cold and draughty.
I would have loved to look round the outside stalls again, but that icy wind made us feel very uncomfortable.
The cup of tea would have to be somewhere else.
We were not far from Aundel, so went to the cafe by Swanbourne Lake.
It felt good in there - popular with lots of people, eager to get in the warm.

I didn't fully warm up until I had a steaming hot shower later in the afternoon.