Wednesday, January 16, 2013

 

Wednesday gardening.

No photos for you today.
Surprising really - my new Canon Powershot arrived at lunchtime.
I have used it - just checking that all the things I know about already can be found and used easily.
Now I must make myself more knowledgeable about its capabilities and facilities.
It came with a manual in Chinese. But the disc has provided me with a 280 page user guide. That's daunting!
I'll gradually become more confident about things I want to know.

This morning we were in the garden.
Bill, for weeks and weeks has been looking out of the window and muttering about how the garden needs tidying.
I decided that today we could begin - better for him and me to get on with it rather than just feel negative about not doing it.
He did get the better option really, because he worked out the front where it was sunny.
But the back is better for me because the beds are raised and I don't have to bend very much.
We had bought a dozen very cheap geraniums last summer - £1 (for 12)  I think they were,. At that price we had no thoughts of saving them - we have nowhere to put them even if they had been saved. They were still in the garden, looking dead and ugly. I got them all up. Then I cut back all the plants that remain - those that will provide us much pleasure when they flower again.
The ground was hard and frozen - but just about took a bit of trowelling to turn the surface soil over.
Bill has cut back the clematis. And tidied up lots of plants. One of our trellises in the front needed to come out. The pole that was supporting it was broken. I expect it was becoming somewhat old - but probably some unruly youth had given it the final push.

I've changed my mind about a photograph. I have one not taken by me - but could be of me.
I really can't be completely sure. Others seem to think it is me.














No, I am not the singer here with The New City Jazzmen.
But surely that is me on the right hand side in the dark cardigan and skirt.

It reminds me that I suggested I might start a Crawley blog for old photographs.
Not tomorrow probably - despite the freezing temperatures I would like to go to Ford tomorrow for a short while.