Thursday, January 10, 2013

 

Today's news and walk.

We have been to the seaside again.
The sea was flat calm - a calm before the storm maybe?
But first we were at Ford.
I feel so pleased with my first purchase. The couple we know who do house clearance and charity work had a 1950's stool. It is rectangular and looks like a domino piece....black and white. I wanted it.
I didn't really want to pay his price.......neither did lots of others it seems.
But I didn't want those others to have it and not me, so I bought it.
Later on I was chatting with them and at least 4 of the other dealers had been back to buy it.
He who hesitates is lost.
I also bought a Lloyd Loom chair. I had wondered what the guy might ask for it.....couldn't argue with £10, especially as he through in a Lloyd Loom linen basket for the same money. Lloyd Loom might be going out of  fashion a bit - but it is still in demand in Dorking.
So, it was a good morning.
But not so good was the fact that I think I should abandon my Canon camera. It has played up for over 2 years now and is getting worse and worse.
I put new batteries in. This morning I took some photos as we walked to our breakfast......it succeeded in taking 3 or 4 pictures and then refused to do more, telling me that the batteries had no more power.
I will buy another.
If the poor old thing can be repaired for less than £100 (some hope of that!) then I would do it  because I could give the camera to somebody.
I shall start looking on line for the the most suitable replacement and then buy on line.....not much use looking in Jessops anymore.
Another plan I am hatching is to create a 3rd blog. It would be a Crawley blog. This way I can save pictures from the memories of Crawley site and from my own collection to share with interested people. I will only be doing it once a week or so - and probably not until next week.
Today is busy. We will be out this evening timekeeping for indoor sprints.

Here are some pictures of today's walk.

No cat in the alley this week. I shall keep an eye on the alley through the year.




















The curly end of the longest seaside bench.















Poodle with a sandy nose.



















So calm.

Glassy sea.




























The fishmonger's dog. It spends the selling days in the back of the van with his own kennel and sofa.
He hadn't eaten the morsels of white fish he had been given today.















The green hut by the river appears on postcards from 100 and more years ago.
I don't what it was used for then or now.
But that stretch of riverside will be renovated soon to improve drainage and create somewhere to walk and sit.
I suspect the old green hut will go.















Riverside flats.




















Old door. The building has been a restaurant. It is being renovated now, don't know if it will be another restaurant or will return to being a dwelling.