Monday, January 07, 2013

 

Yesterday in Rottingdean.

Monday....I have been working again.
I had a kitchen table to move into the shop. I also took a 1930's enamel meat safe with me, which needed a very thorough clean. I bought that a while ago and it has been sitting in the garage, just waiting for a table.
I spent a while this afternoon in the shop kitchen with scourer and cleaner.
It all looks good.
I have taken pictures - will post them tomorrow maybe.
During the morning I needed a few bits in Sainsbury's....came home with part of next year's Christmas dinner. I have 2 gluten free Christmas puddings, priced at 10p each. The use by date is March 2014.
Better make sure I get some rum in.....a Christmas pudding without rum butter is not to be contemplated!

There have been customers in the shop of course......"Hey, stop eyeing up my table!", I am not really ready to part with it. But of course I don't have room for it at home.

Now I will share some of yesterday's pictures. Rottingdean pictures.
Rottingdean has long been a village to attract artists and writers, old cottages nestling under The Downs and right by the sea.







This was Rudyard Kipling's home, overlooking the village pond.


Reeds in the pond.
No need to create a black and white photograph with one of my photo programmes.

The sun was shining down brightly.



























































Prospect House.....home of the artist Byrne Jones.
Also noted there are the authors Enid Bagnold and Angela Thirkell.











A memorial garden was created for Kipling.


















The pavements are all red brick.

























Quaint medieval almshouses...........not a bit of it!
Tudor Close was built in 1929, following the instructions of the man who established nearby Peacehaven (another of his money making ventures).
In the 1930s he converted the complex into a glamourous hotel, which attracted many of the film stars of the day.
I don't know lives there now. The residents clearly don't want people walking near their homes; there are lots of "Private. Keep Out" signs.

Yes - it is all a sham......but it didn't stop me from enjoying the chimneys.




















The windmill (no longer working) stands on the South Downs, overlooking the village.