Sunday, December 30, 2012

 

Memories of Barker's

This has been the first day since I don't know when that we have seen no other people.
I have caught up with a few things....I hadn't dealt with my shop sales for the week before Christmas, which was perhaps my best week ever.
But seeing no people has not prevented communication.
First there have been some phone calls.
And then this picture sparked a lot of communication.




Lovely isn't it? So full of nostalgia for a long ago time....a time before we were born of course.
It sparked off lots of memories.
Our brother in law was a Barker's man......but not until the 1950's.
Barker's owned taxis and Roger worked with his father in the taxi workshop.
Later Roger went on to own his own taxi company and workshops.
He still drives a taxi today.
Messages and comments came thick and fast.
I especially liked this comment about my brother in law.

Roger Elms could rebuild the Austin Cambridge, from a written off wreck, to pristine in a week, 

clutch in an hour, and they were not easy to work on. 

Good that somebody remembers his skills.

We will be entertaining this wonderman (and Bill's sister too, of course) tomorrow night. Goodness I had almost forgotten about New Year's Eve.
It doesn't feel as significant as in my youth.