Sunday, December 23, 2012

 

A good half and a not so good half.

A day like life really - a mix of good and bad.
I suppose it was bad that we woke up and got up later than planned.
My first job (after a cup of tea) was to walk round seeing neighbours.
That was such a pleasure.
The first flowering plant went to some fairly recently moved in neighbours who I had never even spoken to until this morning.
The family live at the other end of our row. They stand out by being different - a family and an elderly mother in a wheel chair. Father has long flowing hair and frequently wears white clothes typical of his ethnic background and place of worship.
This morning we found a Christmas card from the family through the door and it was obvious that they had probably sent one to everybody in the row.
I was touched that they had used this time of year to reach out to their new neighbours. And he (Tariq) was equally touched that I responded.
What a lovely man - I knew that I would always be happy to talk with him in the future.
I had also decided to include, this year, another family of a non European background. We have known them for many years actually. They come originally from North Africa and I believe have some Moslem connections. Abdel is lovely - indeed we know that this family make for really good neighbours.
Abdel and Nassima were out....that's the parents. The door was opened by Hannan - haven't seen her much for ages. Well, it was obvious why we have not seen much of her....she finished at university this summer.
I just thought she was so special - a lovely girl.
She thinks we should go over for  a tea or coffee some time soon.
My little plants have made us some good new friends.
But they have also confirmed the friendship and neighbourliness of those we have known for ages.

It was quarter past eleven by the time I got home.
We went to Horley for a good plate of eggs benedict and then on to Dorking to help in the shop.
Steve had been on his own for a couple of hours.
We arrived just in time!
Shortly after I had sat at the desk he rushed by, demanding to know if the woman who had just left had bought a telephone.
She hadn't - but she had one in her bag!
Steve rushed after her and apprehended her firmly.
"Let me go" shrieks were heard along the street.
Some thought she was being attacked.
I phoned the police. Soon the street had police personnel running along to sort things out - before I had finished talking.
This woman must be brazen or crazy.
She is known to us, and the police.
Indeed it is not the first time she has been apprehended by Steve.
She also had items from other shops in her bag - just as last time.
She was handcuffed and carted off - Christmas in the cells?
Then police were with us (mostly Steve) and taking statements.
All is well. The police were fantastic - Steve was fantastic. The goods are back with us.
And gradually we got ourselves back into a proper way of dealing with customers - whisky glasses sold, spoons sold, a silver plated champagne bucket sold and so on.
I sold a book for me.
I tidied up a bit and then we went home - ready to go back tomorrow morning to see how many people will be wanting things on Christmas Eve.