Tuesday, December 18, 2012

 

Night out with folk.

Oh my poor readers!
Deprived of a blog posting yesterday.
I wasn't ill - but extremely tired.
My body behaved perfectly at the shop during the day yesterday and then closed down once we got home.
Sleep!
Lots of it.
I didn't do very much during today either....yes, there was some sleeping.
And - hooray!
I felt very ready to go out for the evening.
We went to Maypoles to Mistletoe - an evening of folk music, dancing, stories and rhymes and the traditional mummers' play.
The main man was Martin Wyndham Read - a professional folk singer for 50 years, who grew up in these parts.
He has produced Maypoles to Mistletoe for 40 years now - the first was in Crawley and there are 4 performances this year.
Why did I never know of it before?
It was good - above all it was fun; but also poignant as the sense of each season was explored.
The show reached its performance with cold dark December .....and Christmas.
We ended with some boisterous singing of Christmas carols.
I felt very at home - a long time since I actually went to folk clubs. Maybe the time is right to return.
I liked being in touch with the seasons.....being in touch with my pagan side!
I came home with a large bunch of mistletoe - the first of my pagan greenery for the season.
I took some photos - from a distance, without flash - so they are probably all rubbish. I will look tomorrow.