Friday, December 21, 2012

 

People and plants

Somebody from America asked me today if it is a British thing to go visiting lots of friends and family just before Christmas.
I am sure I am not alone in doing this.....but I replied that it was a Grandma P thing.
Having decided that Christmas cards were not my chosen method of reaching out to folks, I had to replace it with something.
So, now, each year we stock up with small flowering plants - from a nurseryman at a car boot sale, and then take them to as many people as we can reach out to.
It is so gratifying when people tell me of past plants which are still surviving and flowering regularly.
We can't post them of course.
I haven't actually done it yet, but a printed letter of greetings and news will be posted to the few people who we can't reach through the computer.
The same will be sent by Email to other people who I am not in touch with everyday through facebook, blog or email.
I have got very behind with this part of my Christmas routine.
But I will get there.
Today has been like yesterday - people to see, plants to deliver, cups of tea to drink.....and later a good tea with family. We were out and about for about 10 hours.
We began to get our Christmas decorations in place on this Winter Solstice day - very much a day worth celebrating; but we didn't have time to do all we wanted.
Tomorrow is another day for decorations and also for more visiting.
I will add a few pictures of young family members- for those that won't be seeing them any other way.
I have some beautiful nieces and nephews - all of whom are great!



























So proud that I had wanted to take a photo of his drawing.









































Christmas hats that we had given to our nephew and niece.
They opened their presents early because they had been enjoying an early Christmas Day in our part of the country.