Wednesday, January 09, 2013

 

Fresh start


I hatched a plan yesterday evening to help me feel more on top of things.
I am pleased with my achievement - but I am absolutely exhausted.
I decided that the bedroom should be thoroughly cleaned and tidied.
Our bedroom is full of treasures (also known as junk maybe). Just like a display of things in the shop, things can begin to look a trifle stale.
So, every item was removed and cleaned. The shelves were cleaned and then the treasures returned in a different way.
Some of the shelves are high and require me to climb and down onto a chair.
My legs ache.
A small amount of clearing out has been done - a very small amount, for these things truly are our treasures; some have been with us a very long time.
I fondly patted the fluffy hair on a little wooden creature that we bought in Denmark in 1964 - before we were married.
I have a cheap little black doll that I bought in a flea market at a Normandy village fete during our first holiday after I had recovered from very serious health issues. Josephine, she is called and is part of my recovery.
We have souvenirs from so many places, home and abroad. One shelf is devoted to Slovenia and another to Thailand.
I have books from my past and also a few from my ancestors' pasts.
I have birthday cards that I received as a child.
I looked after my half of the room and Bill worked on his. He has shelves of little clockwork toys, model cars and all sorts of quirky objects.
The cleaning and tidying took most of the morning.
Until finally I felt a bit wobbly.
For many dusting the bedroom might be a weekly occurrence - but not for me. The carpet gets hoovered and some quick obvious cleaning done now and then. But much of the stuff had not been touched since April 2011 - getting on for 2 years! I took photographs on that day; maybe I should take others tomorrow.

This afternoon we had to go into town again - forgot eggs yesterday. Well, hadn't realised that I would be wanting to use eggs.
I made a spaghetti alla carbonara to use up the left over gammon from yesterday.
Also went to the Polish shop for some of their ham.
We also went to the main post office - guess what.....post offices won't change money for you anymore.
The man mumbled something about how it would cost them money to give us 10 £10 notes for the 2 £50 notes we had been carrying around with us. How come that would cost them money? Bah!
We went to the bank next door instead.

I have been dozing this evening. I shall enjoy an early night in the "new" bedroom. We shall be up early tomorrow to go to Ford. It will be a busy day for we shall be timekeeping in the evening for a sprints meeting at Horsham......as I was chief every time last year, I assume I will be again.




This is a picture I put on Memories of Crawley. John Haigh had been mentioned by somebody else.
This picture combines murder most foul with family history.
John Haigh was also know as the acid bath murderer. He killed wealthy people to get hold of their financial assets. He was a Londoner and his "work" began in London in the early 1940s. Later on he hired a Crawley workshop in Leopold Road. This picture shows the workshop being guarded by a local bobby and some detectives discussing things. I assume the cars belonged to the detectives.
Now, where is the family history connection? I assure you it is not really with John Haigh.
The house behind the removal lorry, backing onto the workshop area, was the home of Bill's maternal grandparents. Bill was born there and lived there until he was 8 or 9. He claims to have known nothing of the evil over the back wall. It must have been quite something for the adults to deal with, though.
I can't remember where I got this photo. I have had it stored for quite some time.
My thanks go to PAPHOTOS for this family link.