Friday, January 11, 2013

 

Celebrating

Today has been the 8th birthday of my grandson in Thailand.
And the amazing postal service has, for once, come up trumps and his present arrived today.
Here is a celebratory picture.





I can celebrate that I have ordered a camera. I looked at specifications of several cameras in my price range. My criteria was a good zoom lens and a flip out screen.
It really did appear that I should opt for the latest version of what I already had - a Canon Powershot 50HS.
So I ordered and paid and it will arrive in 3 or 4 working days.
I promise to read the manual and take notice of all the facilities of the camera!!!
And yes, Peter - the old one can be yours!
I am so generous to my friends - any old broken object I am happy to give away. But knowing this good friend I feel sure he might get it sorted and ready for use.

This evening we got ourselves back to the postcard club. Its been ages since we went.
I found the talk fascinating.
The curator of Henfield Museum is our secretary and he talked of his research into a particular author after he had been sent photographs and letters.
The author was an interesting Victorian woman, with great spirit. She was quite wealthy and devoted much of her time to good works. But very early in life she became crippled with spinal problems. After her parents died she was semi adopted by another family in London. They would spend their summers at a house at Shermanbury in Sussex.
Here Margaret Fairless (or Marjorie as she became known to a new family) would write. She couldn't walk and spent her days meditating and writing.
One of her books became a best seller - The Roadmender. She called herself Michael Fairless.
In the book she imagines herself as the roadmender, witnessing many people and places along the lanes.
Later in the book she looks along the road ahead - the road she knew would lead to her early death.
The imagery of the book is all based on the Shermanbury area - the River Adur, the South Downs, the lanes, the fields and a white five barred gate which was her symbolic divide between this world and the next.
I feel sure there might have been a copy of this work in my childhood home - very possible for it must have been in many homes and new editions were constantly being published for almost 30 years.

Here is an illustration from one of the editions.
It captures the essence of the countryside we drive through most weeks as we go to Ford and Littlehampton - though Shermanbury is slightly to the east.


The world of Sussex is cold and crisp tonight.
Snow is just over the horizon, so they say.