Tuesday, October 30, 2012

 

Petworth Park to overcome my tooth anxiety.

We got up very late - though I had been awake for some time.
Neither I or the cat are eating very much. Well, Harry - nothing really.
I expect he is suffering from anxiety, like I am. Anxiety is very tiring.
This morning I got quite close to a full blown panic attack - probably worse as I put the denture back in.
I didn't want a day like that.
I asked Bill if we could go out.
And we went somewhere not visited before - but will be again.
It is only now we are members of The National Trust that we feel able to visit their properties. And today we went to Petworth House and  deer park.
It was a lovely morning, with some sunshine.
Petworth deer park is huge - 700 acres.
We opted to take a walk first.


Strong, tall redwood tree.....hope some its strength filtered through to me.
























Petworth House from the park. Built in 1688. But the family have lived at Petworth for centuries longer than that. Petworth is actually a southern outpost of the Earl of Northumberland's  estate in Alnwick - the Percy family.  An early Earl left this part of his estate to his daughter.
By one of those quirks of fate, our grand daughter has visited the Alnwick home of the Percy family today.







A view in the deer park. It had been landscaped by Capability Brown.

Good - we saw some deer.
Here is a Turner painting of deer at Petworth House.



This is looking south towards The South Downs.


B. by the lake.














House and lake.















Bill at lunch....yes, soup again!
A delicious carrot and coriander.

There were deer antlers all over the walls of The Audit Room, where the restaurant was situated.
One large pair just happened to appear to be on B's head.














Petworth House is famed for the vast collection of paintings and marble sculptures.
Today I concentrated on this one.


















Detail of head and shoulder - look at the definition of those muscles, worked in marble.




















Now the hand - look at the strained sinews and blood vessels;
and look at the knuckles!



















Through a window, looking out to the deer park, with the lake in the dip.



















Through windows to Petworth town and the parish church.



















Detail of a ceiling above the grand staircase.

















The National Trust have done well at Petworth for children.  In many of the bigger rooms are toy boxes.
Children can play whilst adults study and admire.
And a small cuddly spaniel dog ( like a beanie baby ) is hidden in each room - it creates a hint for little ones about looking out for details.
Trouble is it became the first thing I would look for!

This evening we ate one of the standby comfort meals from my chemotherapy days. It was cook in the bag cod fillet with a creamy sauce and soft chips from the shop.
I managed the fish, mashed up easily. The chips were a bit harder for me - had to cut little bits off and dunk them in the sauce. But I did eat most of them. Harry has licked his food. He sees the vet tomorrow morning - I hope he can suggest how to get Harry to overcome his anxiety and eat.
And my anxiety levels are rising......I should go upstairs and get my teeth into place before we have a cup of tea and  little something (soya yoghurt maybe?).