Wednesday, October 24, 2012

 

Lack of Bargain Hunt.

Well, I still don't know how they do it!
Make a TV programme that is.
Three of us arrived early in the shop, ready to greet any Bargain Hunt programme makers and to find out what was needed of us.
One did come in - liked a butter dish of mine, for herself.......but I don't think she returned to buy it.
She said that 2 of the teams of contestants would be with us later.
Excitement and anticipation (well, a little) mounted.
Meanwhile Steve was busy in the back yard - cooking breakfast.
He had his camping stove and proved to be an admirable chef.
Of course, I was tempted.....but not too tempted.








Silly smile - but you may well know why.
There is a glimpse of one of my remaining fangs....remaining for just 18 more hours.
I declined bacon and sausage and also declined butter on my bread. It was good bread.
It was a delicious an unexpected start to the day.

It was a very pleasant day - plenty of people to talk to. At one point there were 6 of us dealers in the shop - and Monika too.
There were sales with friendly people.
And we heard tales of what was happening with television crews a little along the street.
Programme presenter, Tim Wonnacott did his "Let's go bargain hunting" with arms outstretched at least 5 times.
We heard that one team had bought all their 3 items in Talbots - a big smart antiques centre on 3 floors.
We laughed - how could they make a profit at auction on things bought in Talbots?
They have lovely things.....but do not seem to me to be offering bargains.

The morning turned to afternoon.
At lunchtime we surmised they were all in the pub and would be with us afterwards.
We waited.
Gradually it dawned on us that we might have been ignored.
It seems the 4 teams had bought all their items in only 2 of the shops.
Bah!
I guess that whatever the programme is called, it is not about finding the best bargains; it is about making a programme as cheaply and quickly as possible.
Moving the film crews around would take time and cost more money, I suppose.

I enjoyed the day and I am glad I went. But I didn't get what I wanted out of it. Bah!
But our little antiques "family" enjoyed being sociable and enjoyed knowing that we have a special little shop.
The TV people have missed out on a treasure and the contestants have missed out on getting things that could make a little profit for them.