Monday, October 15, 2012

 

My buying and selling

Somebody who visits the shop during the next week might be in  for a very pleasant surprise.
Today I bought china - the sort I would n't normally have. It is pretty, with flowers on.
I told the young girl (well, she was 24) that I didn't normally have that sort of thing and didn't really know what to offer anyway.
She looked quite astounded at my first offer - £40.
She was expecting very much more, I think.
So, she took it all away.
I suggested she got advice from the local auction house.
But I got the feeling she wanted instant money. I am always a bit suspicious when people want money immediately.
It wasn't long before she came back - if I could offer fifty or fifty five then I could have it.
Did I want it?
I almost did as she wanted because I felt I couldn't at that stage back away.
It turns out she was right to expect more. I hope she is not regretting it.
I have a tea pot, 2 large bread and butter plates, an oval open vegetable dish and a large oval platter.
There could have been more - but she hadn't wrapped it and had broken quite a bit.
The design is Haddon Hall by Minton. It dates from the 1930s.




I have been looking things up this evening.
The teapot sells for between £70 to £100 on internet china find sites.The oval platter and oval vegetable dish sell for about £50 each.
No wonder she wanted more - she had done her homework on the internet.
But perhaps she should have checked out EBay. Items listed there had much lower starting prices and very few have bids.
We shall see what happens.
It wasn't long before she was back again. She now had Beatrix Potter and Bunnykins, children's china. It is very dirty.
Now where had that suddenly materialised from?
I won't lose on it - but I probably gave her too much.
So, there was a lot of buying going on in the shop today - and it was me who was doing the buying.
All good fun and challenging.
There were sales today of course to customers......even something of mine.











Mine was a bit more bashed than this - especially on the bottom. I liked that because I could think of the soldier carrying around his tin with cigarettes, chocolates and other such things. Money was raised by public subscription to send these tins to the troops.
Much of what I bought at the Woking Fair yesterday is now on display.