Thursday, October 11, 2012

 

Forecasting the future

People seem to take great delight in mocking weather forecasters.
Apparently, they never get it right.
That is not my experience - I believe they do invariably get it more or less spot on right.
Two days ago I was planning for the week ahead.
No, we wouldn't be going to Ford on Thursday, but it would be worth getting out on Wednesday.
I wonder how many people were at Ford this morning.
They were probably getting wet. The rain was due on the coast earlier than in Crawley.
My Met. Office website promised me that rain would off in Crawley until 10 o'clock. It was dark and gloomy when we woke up - but not raining. Then more or less on the dot of 10 o'clock, the rain began - slowly and drizzly at first and heavy for the rest of the day.
Believe me, you can get a reliable weather forecast.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/crawley?tab=fiveDay

This page has the forecast for Crawley. You can insert many different sites round the country.
Take a look.
But if you don't have time right now I can promise you that tomorrow will be mostly fine, Saturday will be lovely and there will be early rain again on Sunday.

So, even before getting up, I knew that today would be an "at home" day.
I photographed some things for EBay. Only 8 of them have been described and listed.
I wish I could forecast the sales.
I have made a huge vegetable soup. I think I can foretell that it will taste good.
The soup is for tomorrow.
This evening we had beef - and a plateful of vegetables, with potatoes boiled, not roasted.
We are well within the prescribed limits of food for the day.