Thursday, October 18, 2012

 

I wish I was there.

Remembering is making me feel sad tonight.
I should be there!
Last year I felt a part of the Vegetarian Festival in Thailand.
It is that time of year once again - and Jamie is sharing photos with us.
I must explain that this religious festival is about cleansing - clearing the mind of negativity, bad thoughts etc.
A pure diet is considered essential for these 9 days.
There are ceremonies at the many Thai/Chinese shrines.
Almost everybody wears white.
The Kathu village temple (that's Jamie's village) on the opening day of the festival.
Much symbolism, of course.

In the same village, last night, was the parade of the gods - carried through the streets to an accompaniment of a vast number of very noisy fire crackers.....to drive away evil.




This is one of Jamie's pictures from his village yesterday evening.

As many of you will know, the early morning processions are the time for face piercing.
It is not something many of us in the west can understand.
All I can say is, that when I was there.....watching.....I came close to understanding.
But I'll spare you a picture!

But I wish I was there once again, this year. I enjoy the feeling of it being a community event.
I think on the last night in the village almost everybody was there.

And on a very non spiritual note. I finish with the news that before bedtime, yesterday, the bidding on the handkerchiefs with George Best on the box had reached £26.