Tuesday, October 23, 2012

 

Harry cat in competition.

Somebody in this household is in competition with me to see who has the worst teeth.
Bill's are just fine - if a little crooked.
It is the cat who vies for the worst teeth title.
Yesterday morning we noticed that he had some dried blood on his bottom lip; but he was fine. It would get better.
This morning he was dripping bright red blood round the kitchen floor.
Scary!
Scary for us, that is.
Well, of course we had to take him to the vet.
He was given a thorough examination.
The final diagnosis is that he has rotten teeth and gums.
Just what is going on? When I had serious bladder problems, George cat got bladder problems.
And this week of major dental work for me, Harry cat gets dental problems.
We could have left him with the vet, for a clean up of his teeth and some or all extractions.
An anaesthetic would be a bit risky for an old cat.
I thank the vet for taking on board that I, too, will face a bill for dental treatment. He probably thinks it will be a huge bill with a private dentist. Fortunately Mr C is an NHS dentist; the bill will be bad enough (£209 I think) but less than a private dentist would be charging.
Anyway, our vet began to look for other ways of managing Harry's problem.
He has put him on a course of antibiotics. He has instructed that we cease giving him the dry food, which vets normally recommend. It may be the dry food that is ripping his gums. That's why the bleeding happens in the morning.....that's when the dry food is put down.
We'll see what happens. Harry isn't very happy tonight.

It was more or less straight from the vet to the dentist.
It is a bit uncomfortable having impressions taken - but not scary.
My existing denture was last seen embedded in a cast of fast setting green goo.
It will be returned to me on Thursday with a full set of top teeth.
Meanwhile eating is a bit of a problem. I am on the soup and sorbet diet! Well, a bit more than that; and actually I can manage more than I thought.
This evening for my dinner I had mixed mashed root vegetables.

I don't think people noticed my gappy mouth when we called into Asda - but I notice it. My lip is sort of playing with the gap and has already become sore.

After a morning of being out and about, we got quite lazy during the afternoon.
I have printed a few more pages of photographs. July is complete.
And Bill has been putting photos onto discs to take to the family in Newcastle.

The weather has been dull, drab, dismal and dreary. I now have a friend on facebook adding more D words to the list. She added dank and dreary. I have thought of dolorous - but that sounds just too verbose, and probably not very accurate.

......and somebody else just added damp to the list.