Thursday, October 25, 2012

 

Teeth

There was both certainty and uncertainty about teeth as we began the day.
The fate of mine was certain.
But what should we do about Harry cat's teeth?
Last evening, shortly before our bed time he was losing a lot of blood from his mouth - it seemed to drip incessantly.
I was wiping him with tissue and after a time I collected a large blood clot.
It was scary.
But the bleeding did then stop. There has been no blood since.
But there has been no eating since either and no activity. Harry seems quite fragile. He has sat, hunched up on the stairs.
We thought we might leave decision making until tomorrow.
Then we thought better of it.
I am glad we decided that. If the mouth surgery is necessary, then sooner rather than later.
Tomorrow morning we take him back to Lawrence, the vet, who will be able to make a thorough investigation of his mouth under anaesthetic and do what is necessary. We have to be a little concerned at an old, small cat having an anesthetic; but it is the only way to give him some comfort.

And so, this afternoon, it was my turn.
I did feel more tensed up than when I had just 3 teeth out a few weeks ago.
And it was hard.
There were so many injections and some hurt quite a lot. There were big ones and little ones - dozens of little ones which I could feel.
I gripped my teddy's arms very, very tight.
In between activity I tried to relax my shoulders.
First he took out the remaining back teeth on either side. Good, I thought - get the big ones out of the way first.
But I was wrong - the 2 canine teeth, my fangs, were much more difficult. They had long, long roots. They needed a lot of strength and time to get them out. Well it felt like a long time as I was mentally shouting "Go Tooth".
And immediately, my full denture was being fitted.
And then it was done. I was a bit shaky, but proud that I had managed, with teddy's help, to get through with no fuss.
I realised how shaky I felt when I stood up. Dentist and nurse were so kind and reassuring - that's when I felt I wanted to cry!
There will be further visits to the dentist over the next few weeks.
But we decided to get the paying over and done with. I would like to thank all people who contribute to the National Health Service - a service well worth fighting for.
Even with being on the NHS, I imagine it would be the maximum charge of £209.
But no - having 8 teeth out, the new ones fitted to the denture etc has cost me £48.
Harry's treatment will cost a lot more than that.

I came home and spent 2 or 3 hours lying on the sofa watching TV and clenching my teeth as instructed.
I think that did me good.
Gradually I realised that I was beginning to feel some life back round my mouth.
I could have a cup of tea - not too hot.
I had a bit of soup later on.
And strong painkillers. I think it is hurting tonight in one particular spot where injections went in.

Sadly, we have to postpone our trip to Newcastle next week. The dentist wants to see me.
Probably, almost certainly, Harry will have to be seen and he will have tablets to take.

Now I will be brave again - and give you an opportunity for a laugh.
Before and after pictures.
The before is as I have looked for the last couple of days. The after is with the full denture in - in a rather bruised and bloody mouth still.