Wednesday, October 31, 2012

 

Guising

So, it is Hallowe'en!
So what?
It was not marked with festivities in the 40s or 50s in my world.
I knew, as a child, that October 31st was referred to as Hallowe'en; I think my Enid Blyton Magazine might have talked of apple bobbing. She didn't talk about Trick or Treat.
I don't think she talked of guising either.....a new word for me, learned today.
My Scottish great nephews and nieces are ready to go guising. They are dressed up and their house has been decorated too.
I have been reading up about it; the first recorded reference to guising in Scotland was in 1895. That is 16 years before the first recorded reference to it in North America - and that was in Canada.
The USA was some time after that - the 1930s, when it had become trick or treat.
So, no longer can I grumble about this awful American tradition that has filtered to the UK.
In fact I have to wonder why I grumble.
Some people have gone to some trouble to make their Hallowe'en festivities special. with families and friends working together and having fun together.
I have enjoyed seeing pictures of pumpkins, costumes, decorations on facebook today.
But, of course, I do grumble!
I am sad that this old Pagan festival and family fun time has been bombarded by the power of the supermarkets until it must seem like parents who won't get involved are "mean" for not giving their children a fun time.
Mind you, I now wish I had got in a small supply of chocolate bars to give to children who had made a really good effort. B, on the other hand just wants to refuse to answer the door.

Generally for us, another quiet day.
We took Harry cat back to the vet. Mostly his mouth is healing well. On hearing that Harry feels unable to eat, some pain killing liquid was prescribed. He will be seen again on Saturday.
I made some soup today - mixed vegetables combined with a reduced price tub of spicy potato, chicken and sauce.

Back to Hallowe'en.
The staff at Tulley's Farm must have had fun creating their display of things for sale.























































I hope all those who are guising this evening have fun.