Tuesday, March 23, 2010

 

A Mixed Bag



It was 14 years ago when family and friends joyfully united to share in the wedding of Ashley and Liz.
It was a fun day in Aberystwyth, full of warmth and love.
I don't think the weather was much better that day - though I don't remember any rain.
We found snow in the mountains the next day.
This morning Bill took the car for its own birthday celebration - a service.
Once upon a time he would have done the job himself of course. But as the car is still quite new we have to have the job done by an authorised garage or the warranty would become invalid.
I spent a while this morning re-colouring my hair.
I had wondered if the time had come to leave it alone and think "what will be, will be". Yesterday I realised that, for me, a little effort is really worthwhile. I am not aiming for dramatic changes just not to have "old hair".

I am pleased with the result. Many might see very little difference - but I know.
Even Bill commented that it looked better.
What do you think of the jumper? It was one I bought in the Hospice charity shop yesterday in Dorking, because I was feeling so cold.
I spent a while doing the shop blog.
I really enjoy getting to know all the stock in the shop as I search for things to feature in the weekly report.
http://pilgrimsantiquesweststreetdorking.blogspot.com/
Bill got busy making the doors a little shorter - when the new floor is laid then the level will be a bit higher and therefore a certain amount must come off the doors.
Bill has been out taking photographs of the building site.
A huge crane has arrived on both mornings so far this week - and we expect to see it again for the rest of the week.
It lifts huge concrete blocks, lifts them high in the air and then lowers them gently into place to form the base of the floor, which then has a surface laid over the concrete blocks.
Once the ground floor is done, they will be working on the first floor.


The concrete blocks arrive on a flat truck, which parks up between the huge air cushions.
We presume the air cushions are part of modern health and safety.

The block swings high - and look, for a while the sun was trying to shine!

This is a general scene - if you enlarge it you can see a little bit of the ground floor in place.
The man on the digger continues to work. He is sorting out the ground which will be the visitors' car park, situated between us and the building.
This evening I have enjoyed my date with the professor!
He waxed lyrical about Titan, one of Saturn's moons. Suddenly it all sounds so interesting. The landscape of Titan is rather like that on earth, with rivers and lakes - except that the liquid there is not water but liquid methane.
This is not Professor Brian Cox's first brush with fame.
The previous time was as a keyboard player with D Ream - Number 1 with "Things Can Only Get Better"; later adopted as an anthem by Tony Blair.
Tomorrow Bill and I might get out somewhere. Bill is eager to get some plants started up the trellises he bought last week.
I am hoping that the early predictions for Thursday's weather might be wrong - I am eager for a day out then too, to Ford and Littlehampton.
We shall see.