Tuesday, March 16, 2010

 

Good fortune at the hospital.



I'll start with a photo from Thailand for those of you who don't see Facebook or Jamie's blogs. There are more pictures available on these other sites.
Last weekend was the annual festival to celebrate the exploits of the 2 heroines who saved Phuket from an invading Burmese force in the 1700s.
Here Jessica and John pose with the 2 young women playing the parts of the heroines.
Jessica looks really quite overwhelmed to be so close to a real live heroine star of the show. Bet she's imagining that it could be her being a star. I always would dream like that.


Now here is a poser..... which is more enjoyable - the mashed potato of sausage and mash today or the mashed potato of bubble and squeak tomorrow?
Luckily we can just savour both!



This morning I was at the hospital with one of the urology team - a doctor I had not met before. Once I again I felt so fortunate, for this man was both friendly and thorough.
I was with him for quite a time - more than my fair share of time I shouldn't wonder.
I came away feeling buoyed up with joy and confidence.
I also came away with knowledge that I might have a minor problem - at least I hope it would prove to be minor.
My recent blood tests show that I have an over active thyroid gland. The doctor was baffled because an over active thyroid should also show higher than normal levels of calcium. And, as we know, my calcium levels are on the low side - but improving as I now diligently drink down my calcium supplement each day.
Potassium is at the high end of normal - but nothing to worry about.
I am being referred back to the endocrinologist about the hyperthyroidism.
The doctor will write to my GP to instruct that I should have further urine tests and some swabs taken.
I must arrange to have an appointment with the stoma nurse.
I shall have another CT scan in August before seeing the team again in October.


And so it was out into the sun again to journey home.



Bill has been outside for most of the afternoon. Oh dear - he will suffer for the increased physical effort.
I think his rheumatoid arthritis is a little less well controlled by the present level of the drug. It might have to be increased.
Poor Bill - he is also suffering from a sinus infection which drags him down too.
He has pulled out the very woody honeysuckle in the front garden.
Just at the moment we are without much plant life that forms a bit of a barrier between us and what was our field and is now a building site. The clematis has been trimmed back too.
Tomorrow he will get some additional trellises to help us feel more secluded from the medical centre.



I spent a while playing round with photos and things for the Pilgrims Antiques blog.
http://pilgrimsantiquesweststreetdorking.blogspot.com/
I also dealt with a few more EBay sales; and not having described anything more I decided to re-list some of the failed things of the last month.
Frieda came round too - she had failed to get us to sign 2 copies of her will, where we witnessed her signature a couple of weeks ago.



This evening I have gone all floppy.
I turned over the TV after Emmerdale to watch my new hero, Professor Brian Cox explaining much about Saturn's rings and suddenly felt very close to sleep.
Sore mouth and cramp have caused some restless nights. The mouth feels a bit better tonight - but then, I have got tablets from my stored up cache of the now banned painkiller co-proxomol.
Why was it ever banned? Medical experts think it was a very efficient painkiller.
But I am looking forward to an early night.