Friday, March 12, 2010

 

Up and down the valley


No, we haven't had a day out walking along The South Downs.
The reason for my postcard is because this evening we have been on a journey up the River Cuckmere at the postcard club.
The speaker was not the best - reading without much expression from his notes, but with a wonderful deep Sussex accent.
We travelled up the river on the east bank, through little villages known to me from my childhood, and then back down the other side, back to the river estuary at Cuckmere Haven.
I think I must have cycled along every road, past every quaint cottage, village stores, church and mansion. Though even way back in the 1950s many things shown in early postcards had disappeared.
The Sunnyside tea gardens are no longer an attraction in Littlington, and even if they had been there they wouldn't have been part of my family's world.
The Long Man of Wilmington in the post card above would seem to be a permanent fixture though. That was very much part of the family world.
This morning I was specially pleased to be contacted through Facebook by another of our nieces. Bill's brother, Ian, moved to Scotland with his then wife and 2 of the children who had been born in Crawley. Sarah is the oldest and a lovely looking young woman she is.
We have felt rather out of touch with Ian and his family for many years, which seems a shame. So I am very glad to add Sarah to my list of Facebook friends.
We have done a big food shop today - first in Lidl and then onto Waitrose in Horley.
And in between a very relaxed lunch in Wetherspoons - the bargain fish and chips meal (with peas, tartar sauce, bread and butter and a cup of tea) all for £2.99.
There was a bonus of sampling some excellent Chilean wine in Waitrose as we shopped.
Tomorrow looks like it will be a lovely (ish) day - so we will be off to Ford early in the morning.
My mouth is beginning to tell me that it has been assaulted this week. The pain is not excessive and to be expected - but it will be good when it settles down.
Goodnight.