Tuesday, March 02, 2010

 

Some sadness

I am feeling kind of sad tonight.
I have been involved in all sorts of conversations, chats, exchange of emails which have focused on mortality - should I just say death?
It is an everyday occurrence - all over the world.
But when it comes close it can leave one pondering or fretting.
I am sad for all those people who at this moment are close to dealing with the end of life.
There are people I know, thousands of people in Chile - who have now pushed the many more in Haiti from our minds and people of some celebrity. Kristian Digby was a friendly amusing and knowledgeable person within his field on TV - such a waste that his life should be snuffed out alone in some sordid erotic way, which is what the tabloid press are suggesting.
I know - I picked up a copy of The Sun whilst waiting for an XRay this afternoon.
I have had a routine blood test and chest XRay in readiness for my next appointment with the consultant.
I say "routine" and pray "routine", but after the sort of day I have had I have to remind myself that I am not immortal.
Was there a strange hint in the radiographer's voice when he checked that I would be seeing my doctor? Did he see something on the XRay? Or was he merely saying something routine?

The weather has been good again. The air felt tremendous as we walked away from the hospital.
That alone is enough to make me feel that for today I am so glad to be alive.
To alter a well known a quotation - "the future is another country". I am not sure how things are done in that far off distant land.

One bit of future that we can see unfolding with our own eyes is the construction of the medical centre opposite our house.
The green field is in the past.
Yesterday a huge crane arrived and by the time we got back from Dorking a certain amount of girdering was in place and the structure of the building has grown much more during today.


Look at the lovely bright blue 1st March sky!


This morning men were working at half past seven as usual, ready to continue with yesterday's work.


It must be very satisfying being a builder - and maybe fun.
The men have this huge construction kit and plans - just like when they opened a box of Lego or Meccano when they were boys.
My brother Robin was always proud of the buildings and projects he had been involved with.
I can't go down Hurst Road in Horsham without thinking, with pride, my brother built that fire station! He was actually a fairly lowly apprentice at the time.


Girders everywhere.
Bill has pointed out that once the building is finished we won't be able to see the ugly telephone mast.
Sadly we may not be able to see the poplars either.



By evening we have structure up for "the west wing" as Bill called it.
The light coloured brick bit is the lift shaft.

I completed another posting for the Pilgrims Antiques blog today.
http://pilgrimsantiquesweststreetdorking.blogspot.com/

I am not sure why I am no longer getting any reports of activity on this blog from Google analytics. People have told me that they have seen the blog but the reports suggest that suddenly it stopped being looked at nearly a month ago. Any suggestions? Jamie you helped me set it up - as blog supremo perhaps you can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Tomorrow we are promised another dry day.
That's good. We are meeting some friends at the Pulborough bird sanctuary for a walk and bird watching and lunch.

Labels: