Sunday, February 28, 2010

 

It was on a Sunday morning.....

I am not sure that I felt such tiredness thirty nine years ago.
It was a Sunday and I had, indeed, enjoyed a very busy weekend - the memories of activities are etched deep in my mind.
I had entertained quite a large number to tea on the Saturday which was followed by an extremely disturbed night.
And today the cause of the disturbance has celebrated a birthday.
I did spend most of the Sunday resting, of course.... so maybe by evening my body didn't feel weary and my eyes heavy with longing for sleep.
Right now I am somewhere twixt sleeping and waking - I was deeply asleep through most of Lark Rise.

So, how I have spent the 39th birthday of my youngest? Goodness that is daunting..... just another year and both my sons will have crossed the threshold of a 40th birthday!
I have spoken with Ashley of course - full of sinus problems and feeling quite exhausted too. Its just another day - but a shame that a birthday had little special for him, apart from a card from his daughter with the words inside "You have been Hugged!"

As promised the rain was beating down when we awoke.
The wind was fierce.
It stayed that way for several hours, but I don't think the weather was as bad as we had been led to expect.
We got up and drove to Croydon, full of expectation for a busy search of stalls set up in a multi storey car park.
In the past it was always a big affair.
But we were disappointed. The number of stalls was far less than we hoped.
I bought quite a lot of small items of china and glass - lots of cream jugs amongst them.
The best buy was a cuddly lion cub.
The seller thought it dated from the 1920s, which I doubted.
She apologised that there was no maker's label; but I felt sure I didn't need one. I handed over £10 and later confirmed my suspicions that this was a Steiff toy, although there was no button in the ear.
I was also right in assuming it to be later than the 1920s - 1950s is much closer to the mark.
The one I found on the internet didn't have a button in the ear either. Children cut them off - just like they might cut the tags off a Beanie baby, without realising that this would detract from their value.
Actually, are there any valuable Beanie babies anymore? Some people may well have got very rich out of that temporary fashion, which died a death.

As we drove home, Bill half jokingly suggested we go back via Godstone and visit his cousin Ann.
It was only quarter past nine.
So, I phoned her to warn her of this suggestion and she happily invited us in for cups of tea, shortbread and lots of chat.

By the time we left the rain was easing. The ground is now very wet and many fields by the road side are under water. There are flood warnings in parts of Sussex and there are already some floods in Kent.

I have written up all the weekend purchases and have a box filled ready to take to the shop tomorrow.

We have finished the fish pie I made yesterday.

And now it is time for bed.
Tomorrow is a day for Dorking.
I have plans for the shop blog, based around St David's Day. I am not sure how much relevant stuff I will find.
I need daffodils - might go out and buy a bunch to enhance the photos.

The tiny part of me which is Welsh blood feels proud to celebrate my Welsh ancestry.
Dydd Gwyl Dewi Dedwydd!