Tuesday, March 09, 2010

 

Gathering strength for the big occasion.

Two weeks ago I was a nervous wreck at the thought of a visit to the dentist.
Sometimes it hits me like that.
Strangely, I am reasonably calm this evening - although tomorrow will be worse than I was perhaps envisaging.
Though it was my choice to make it so.
This morning I was in the chair for an impression to be made of my top set of teeth and gaps.
I discussed with Mr Clinton the possibility that perhaps whilst he was at it, it might be a good idea to remove more than one tooth.
I have two others, very close to the broken one that would seem to have a very limited life span, and he agreed with that diagnosis.
He said if I was up for 3 extractions he would do it.
It can't be 3 times worse than one can it?
It will be horrid - but very soon the bad time will have become the past.
I am up for it!

I mentioned my dentist's name on facebook.... well, he can't get away from being Bill Clinton can he?
I now have collected a group of comments from his fans! People who have moved away from Crawley miss him and another thinks he is just wonderful.
It is one of my little fears in life - dealing with a life when my dentist retires. He truly is special.

This evening I came across another special man - Professor Brian Cox, a scientist being used by the BBC for a programme about the solar system.
I don't think it is just his charisma and good looks that make science seem so good coming from him - the man has a deep soul, which I can relate to.
Many years ago I had a discussion with my Dad - also a scientist.
As was my custom I felt frustrated that my dad felt that his scientific knowledge was worth far more than my more emotional responses to things.
And I am sure that is true.
We were discussing the Northern Lights and beautiful sunsets. For me, it is enough that they move me.
And I am sure such sights moved him too - but he explained that knowing what caused the Northern Lights was what pleased him the most.
I poo pooed this of course - shallow little madam that I was!
Professor Brian Cox thought that he would think like Dad - and of course the Professor does know what causes the Northern Lights; he explained it to me so well.
But the knowledge was just swept aside with an emotional response. He said it seemed for all the world like he was watching spirits rising up into heaven!!!
Never, in a million years, would scientist Dad have said such a thing.
But I might have done - and I do wish I could see the Northern Lights.

None of this says that anybody is right or wrong. I just feel content to know that it is possible for science to be enriched with the colour and wonder of emotion, a sense of awe and joy.

The day has been spent quietly at home - without my denture I feel a bit of a freak. I get that back tomorrow.
Nevertheless I enjoyed a cup of tea with our neighbour Rose this afternoon.
And I have dealt with more Ebay sales.
Oh and the postman brought me great joy this morning. My lovely 1950's coffee table went astray. I refunded the money to the buyer and assumed that I should claim from the Post office - but hadn't got round to it.
Today it was returned to me. I was so happy.
I believe I was given a faulty address by the buyer. I will contact her to see if she really does want it.

This morning I did a posting for the Pilgrims Antiques blog.
http://pilgrimsantiquesweststreetdorking.blogspot.com/

I had 10 hours in bed last night - I was feeling so tired.
I do feel a bit better this evening, but Bill still feels very weary. His sinus infection is getting him down - it didn't stop him spending some time out in the back garden in the very cold wind though. It looks very neat now, with compost spread over the clay soil.
We will have another early night.
This time tomorrow I shall be swallowing down painkillers I expect - but the dreadful deed will be over.
Goodnight.