Sunday, March 07, 2010

 

Books by the dozen

Sunday evening - very tired and right now, a little shivery.....having fallen asleep in front of the TV yet again.
My body feels tense and must soon be in bed, although I haven't completed my tasks of the day.

I do try to get all the weekend's purchases sorted before Sunday is over, but there were so many this morning; although I have regrets that there were not a good deal more.
I bought 47 books, all of which will be suitable for describing and listing on EBay.
I arrived at the stall and immediately gathered books and was eyeing up a huge pile in front of the stall.
Oh dear - another book dealer had arrived before me and he must have had a 100 or so, equally suitable for EBay.
My books now sit in 2 piles on the dining room table. I spent the afternoon sorting yesterdays' glass and other things, ready to take to the shop tomorrow.
I also dealt with a few more Ebay sales. happily Rupert Annual 1951 has been sold, though the amount was not a great deal - £5.50. This is a very paltry amount compared with what early Ruperts were fetching at one time.
Another car boot sale purchase is in place - a replacement keyboard for this computer.
There was little wrong with the old one, except Bill grumbled that he couldn't read the letters properly because I had worn them off with overuse!
But as the replacement cost just one pound - no matter.

One of the saddest of anniversaries is passing by this weekend.
The date of my mother's death was the 6th March.
But the day of the week and the place fill my consciousness more than the number of the day.
On Friday we passed the building in which she died - the old nurse's home. It is now boarded up and presumably ready for demolition. As we drove by I thought of the last time I had been with my mother. And I thought of it again this afternoon - for it was a Sunday afternoon when I visited for the final time. It was a bright and sunny afternoon - and not nearly as chilly as it has been today.
In a few hours I shall feel a slight sense of tension easing as "it will be over."

As I sit here yawning I realise it would be best to make a soothing cup of tea and then settle down to some sleep.
Goodnight.