Monday, March 15, 2010

 

Good times for all but Laura!

What a lovely day!
And what a busy day too!

We peered through the bedroom curtains this morning and realised that this was the day that might be the turning point of the year - there was such an air of Spring about the morning.

We enjoyed the drive to Dorking - but noticed that most daffodils are still choosing not to lift their heads to the sky. It won't be long now.

People were in and out of the shop from the moment we opened, but few were buying, and we thought at first that it might be a slack day.
Never mind - it gave us time for chatting and sorting out our own affairs.
I arranged the birds that I had bought in from a woman last Monday. Monika and I delighted in showing each other some of the things we bought over the weekend. She bought a pewter backed dressing table from me.......Bill had said at the time (yesterday morning in Horley) it was just the sort of thing Monika would have.
There was delight, too, as Bill and I checked through our takings for the week.
We are firmly established now as having stock that people want.
One item that Bill sold today had started the day on one of his bedroom shelves!
He thought he should charge just £5 for it and I suggested £10, which is what his regular customer paid for it.
On Mondays Bill is often deep in conversation about various models with his regulars.

I spent some time sorting out some photos for this week's blog, on a theme of St Patrick's Day. Basically I took examples of green coloured items from each person's shelves and arranged them with a bottle of Guinness or a little china cauldron with shamrocks on. I will deal with them in the morning.

Later it got busy.
We were finding cabinet keys, wrapping and chatting - and persuading.
Monika is good at that, and I left it to her to sell a couple of items for me.
I had a Bristol blue decanter and a Bristol blue tall jug, but the young woman thought she only needed one of them. Monika managed to persuade her she would be much happier with both!
It was one of Monika's friends who later bought a picture of mine.
So, bless Monika today!
But bless me too - for having things people want at the right sort of price.

Now we are weary - though maybe I am still running on adrenalin; certainly when I played boggle for a short while I was on very good form.

Tomorrow I shall be checked again by the urology team. I doubt that they have much to say at this stage. I have a few queries.
Sometimes we are in and out of the hospital very quickly - other times the doctors are running late.
Waiting is frustrating of course, but I never get bothered. My theory is that the doctors should give all the time that is needed to each person. I have had my fair share of times when I needed much time - I probably kept others waiting. Now others may be facing their own traumas and need extra reassurance.
My mouth is still sore. I realised that the roof of my mouth hurts - where injections went in. The premolar space is still quite tender.
But my new teeth have been much admired today.
The pain will go.

On the way home in the car we heard on the local news that our Member of Parliament (Laura Moffatt) has decided not to fight the next election - only a few weeks away. Cynically, I wonder if she couldn't face being the symbol of a sinking ship!
Her majority last time was just 37 - a number she had tattooed on her foot!
Since then the political situation has changed both within the town and probably within the country.
I still find political affairs quite interesting.