Saturday, March 13, 2010

 

Brilliant family.

Today has been brilliant!
It has been a day in which the web of tenuous strands which hold the Monk family together has felt strengthened.
I will start at the end of the day and work back.
This evening we have been to the theatre - a small, local theatre in Ifield: The Barn Theatre.
The play was Natural Causes - a black comedy dealing with suicide and a professional disposal agent who was able to facilitate the event.
It really was funny - and the star of the show was our nephew, Antony.
We know, from family parties, that Antony is a brilliant raconteur. He tells a good story and amuses us no end.
But somehow, at family parties, he is just one of the younger generation as, no doubt, we are just part of the older generation.
Strangely, by seeing Antony in this part, I felt more close to him than ever before - and immensely proud.
I mean no disrespect to other members of the cast, but Antony held the stage; it was Antony who made the evening what it was.
His timing was perfect and his way with the script was perfect.
Congratulations Antony! We look forward to your next performance.
Oh - and in the end, after all sorts of mixups and mishaps, it was the disposal agent who took the poison and died!

Earlier I was so pleased that I was able to begin to get to know other nephews and nieces.
I mentioned yesterday that Sarah, our niece in Scotland had contacted through facebook. Today, her brother, Jason joined in.
It is 16 years since we had a brief meeting with them - the last time they came to Sussex from Edinburgh and there has been no contact since, apart from a Christmas card sometimes.
I have been chatting with Jason today - our youngest nephew. He had been just a name on the family tree until today and now he is a real live nephew. Wonderful!
I have been sorting a few photos out of this family and publishing them on Facebook too.

It has also been a day for Bill and me too - a normal sort of Saturday. We have been to Ford and bought various bits and pieces, including another 18 books.
And yes, breakfast was partaken once again in The Balaton Cafe. It is lovely to sit in the warm with friendly people, eat a tasty breakfast and look out over the river. The water of the river and the sea was almost flat calm today - total contrast to two weeks ago.
This afternoon I wrote all the purchases up in my stock book.

Tomorrow sees one of those days which mark the turning of the seasons.
It is the first Grand Prix race of the year.
I don't really care about that sport any more - but Bill likes to keep an eye on things.
Before that there will be a trip to Dorking to see what bargains can be found on the car boot sale stalls.

And just so that my family don't feel left out - we are thrilled to know that our niece, Megan and Tom are safely installed in their new home and their baby quite soon to be born. And we had news today that another niece, Michaela (and Clive) is expecting her second child in July.

Still taking paracetamol for my mouth - maybe I am a wimp! But I don't enjoy the nagging discomfort and prefer to get on with my life without it.