Saturday, March 20, 2010

 

Not Littlehampton again!

Saturdays shouldn't be like this!
The skies are grey, it has rained a lot and I have felt bored.
I don't often feel bored - but today I have felt let down. Things are just not as they should be.
Firstly I was hoping that I would be sitting here and casting admiring glances at the new wooden floor. It is not Mike's fault that he got bogged down in another job and he is fitting us in where he can. But its sad.
And, as Mike couldn't come we might have gone to Ford and Littlehampton. But that would have been pointless and not very enjoyable in the rain.

We have been out - all the way to Asda for food shopping. Not very exciting.

I have listed 15 more things for Ebay and sold 2 things which had been there for 10 days.
There is a watcher already on the Arundel beaker commemorating the 21st birthday of the Duke of Norfolk.

I enjoyed some chat with Ekatarina this morning.

This evening we are going out. We shall visit Bill's sister, Jane and her husband. Another sister Ros (and Harry) are over from the Isle of Wight and we don't see enough of them - so lots of family chat.


As Saturdays so often have Littlehampton pictures to share I thought I would post some older post cards.
In fact, having started to look, I see a new area for collecting. I shall bid on some.



This one is postmarked 1917 - but the picture is probably earlier.
The people are walking along opposite the cottages which have now become little shops and cafes - one of the cafes is The Balaton.
The river estuary and harbour was much more busy in those days.


In 1966 the cottages have been converted to little shops and cafes - with accommodation upstairs.
There is no ice cream parlour there now.
The Balaton is a few shops down from the ice cream parlour.


1966 again.
This is a view from the west bank of the River Arun, looking towards Pier Road. The Balaton would be about behind the yacht - or maybe just a little to the right of it.
There are people walking up a little wooden jetty on this side of the river. They have come over from the town side on the little ferry.
Bill and I went on that ferry I remember in 1963 to walk along the sand dunes towards Clymping.


We look back now to the early 20th century.
The view has hardly changed. But there are no grand sailing ships these days.
Right, time to cook a small meal before going out for the evening.
We think we will get out tomorrow. The tentative plan is to go south to Fontwell for the early car boot sale and then on into Chichester.

Labels: