Wednesday, March 17, 2010

 

The adventures of a table

Last October, one of my holiday souvenirs was a table.
I bought it at car boot sale in Canterbury. It seemed to sum up the style that I love to have within my section in Pilgrims.
I felt joyful at its purchase.
Since then it has created all sorts of highs and lows.
It didn't sell quickly in the shop. Far too "modern" maybe for Dorking.
In January I decided to offer it for sale on EBay. There was a lot of interest. I felt just a bit sad that a reminder of our Kentish holiday would soon be on its way.
But the buyer seemed to love it too.
The sadness levels increased when the buyer told me that she had not received it.
I assumed that this was one of the parcels that the Post office manages to lose.
The buyer was sad and asked that if it should turn up to let her know.
I thought neither of us would see it again and then one morning, the door bell was rung and a post office employee had the parcel in his hands.
Great joy!
I felt that it had come back to me for my own pleasure.
But I did let the buyer know - eventually.
She replied immediately that she wouldn't bother with it now.
Hooray! I thought.
Then thought - hell, no! I had bought it to sell on. It remains neatly wrapped and ready to be posted.
So, today I listed it again on EBay for another chapter of its interesting life with me.



I also described and listed 13 books - all Sussex books, Eastbourne and Lewes mainly.
One was written by somebody we once knew a little - we have visited the author of Sussex Industrial Archaeology in his home at Battle. I assume that maybe John Upton has now passed on.
Hey - this is the computer age - no use just assuming facts! I looked it up and found that John had died in 2008.
So, I have been quite busy today.

Bill has been busier by far.
This morning he took the woody honeysuckle to the dump and then bought two new trellises for the front garden. This afternoon he put the trellises up against the sturdy poles that he also bought. He also dug the garden over.
Now we have to select some new climbing plants to grow up and create a little seclusion for us as the new building grows and later on brings lots of people to it.

We are both exhausted this evening.
I have looked again at the symptoms of an over active thyroid gland.
Yesterday I said I had no symptoms - now I wonder if some of the symptoms I have and take for granted could have something to do with the problem. One of them is much feeling of being very tired.

I am certainly looking forward to sleeping in bed very soon - instead of on the sofa which I was just now.