Monday, April 08, 2013

 

Us and Boo

Bill was very keen, it seemed to me, to meet up with Boo again.
Boo is a dog, a big dog. We last saw him when he was a very young puppy...already quite big.
He is still considered to be a puppy (about 16 months) and is enormous.
Boo belongs to my cousin, Rod.
This weekend Rod (and his son) were visiting his sister - my cousin Alison.
Rod and son enjoyed 2 days with the super bikes at Brands Hatch....leaving Alison holding the puppy!
Here he is.....a big and friendly dog.


































He encouraged me to sit down - a quick nudge with his nose had me settled on the sofa!
Then he investigated Bill.






"Hello Boo"
"Who are you?" Boo sniffs....."Should I be friends with you? You seem to have intruded into this house where you don't belong."




















Boo decides to make it very clear that he is the boss. Bill is getting increasingly nervous!
Bill grew up with dogs - but none of his family dogs were as big as a bear!







Just being friendly?
Bill is outside his comfort zone.


Alison tries to calm Boo down and tells him that Bill is very welcome in the house.































I am sorry, Bill and Alison........this just makes me laugh out loud!

After that nobody was sure what to do. Perhaps Bill had better go and sit upstairs!
Alison took Boo out into the garden and I followed.
Boo was intent on finding a good place to bury his bone. Nowhere seemed right.....well, not until he decided that in the pot where pansies were growing would be suitable.
It was fascinating to watch him.
Once the bone was hidden, Boo grew restless. Alison began throwing his squeaky toy for him. At one point I went to pick it up to throw it for him.
Wrong move!
"Get away from my toy"
And he pushed me. I am not really very strong and I could feel an accident developing......he could push me onto some concrete steps and I could smash my head. I saw it all.
Fortunately, I kept just enough balance to land on my bottom on the steps......and Alison pulled him off me.

Rod loves him dearly - has always been a dog person. He won awards at Crufts in the past.
They have a good relationship.
But the general opinion amongst all the rest of us was that Boo (a Newfoundland) is just a bit too big.
Just a bit too much (or a lot too much) to handle.

It was lovely to see my cousins again and we shared a lovely roast dinner together.
Glad we have had the Boo experience........maybe we are bit too frail to cope with another!