Saturday, January 19, 2013

 

Thank you to family and friends.

Bother! Didn't do much.
I had an idea that we could walk into town and maybe have a drink.
My plan was to meet up with Bill's sister - but, bother - they had already gone out when I phoned.
Strangely they had similar plans.
We will try again tomorrow if its not snowing too hard in the morning.
Just checked - we are promised light snow all day and it will feel very cold.

Snow!
It dominates conversations and messages.
But in 2013 we are hoping that these snowy days are just a novelty.
We watched a programme earlier on about the 1963 winter - the novelty rather wore off that year.
This programme was made in 1963 by the presenters of the Tonight programme. I remembered them.
But what I didn't remember was all the doom and gloom - well, obviously I knew that conditions for some were hard.
But I don't recall power cuts and water shortages, in south east England.  Maybe we were just lucky.
I had no access to TV that winter - my first away from home training to be a teacher; but I had a radio; must have heard the news.
The hardships could not have impacted on the brain of a flibertigibbet young girl of 18.
But its not just me - Bill doesn't remember, nor his sister.

Today I have enjoyed pictures of snowmen - glad some people got out to play.
Thank you niece and great nephew for your efforts.
Indeed thank you all for sharing your experiences and pictures.
The BBC has a marvelous clip of  tigers and snowmen.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-21097464
Thank you to my brother for that one. It made me laugh - especially those tiger tongues!

Our friends in North Wales sent photos of the snow drifting and piling up in their garden and against the walls, doors and windows of their house.
They don't live in the high Snowdon mountains, but they are quite remote.

It must have been quite a task, a very warming task, to cut a path to the front door.
Thank you friends for the picture.

Now I must thank my sister in law for an illustrated "When icicles Hang by the Wall" poem (by Shakespeare).
Good idea - I might pinch that one - I'll find a different poem.

In moderation snow is a good thing.....try telling that to my daughter in law in Thailand. She fears it would be unbearably cold!
But we all find it interesting and we all enjoy sharing.

My last thank you is to somebody I don't know - Giles Coren, who writes for The Times.
He was writing about the burger story of last week - how  economy burgers can contain horse meat.
Most people I know don't seem to object to the horsemeat - but, like me, they object to the fraud.

 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21059425

The complete article about burgers can be found on the BBC page.

But I specially like this quote from Giles Coren.

"What on earth did you think they put in them? Prime cuts of delicious free-range, organic, rare breed, heritage beef, grass-fed, Eton-educated, humanely slaughtered, dry-aged [beef], hand-ground by fairies...?"

It made me laugh!

So thank you to all the people who have done things, shared things and added to the joys of my day.

I think I am still the same flibbertigibbet, just 50 years older than the 1963 one. I like to chat, gossip, share 

news and views.

Tomorrow it must be my turn to have things to share.

I'll finish with this one - apologies if the wording offends. It made me laugh.