Sunday, November 04, 2012

 

Lessons in pottery

We were up early with the plan to go to Woking.
And we st off on our journey with some joy in our hearts.
I had seen Harry cat eat about 4 small mouthfuls of food. Oh, just maybe the option we had chosen was going to really help him?
The roads were almost treacherous at times - with huge puddles, larger flooded spots and fast flowing little rivers either across the road or down the side of the road.
Fortunately, though, the rain had stopped by the time we scurried from the car into Woking leisure centre for the antiques fair.
I bought some things to make a little profit and I also bought knowledge.
One couple had a vast amount of superb West German pottery. It looked quite wonderful - I wanted it all!
Some of the vases were priced at around £200.
I couldn't start spending that much when I know too little about the potteries and their values. But I learned a lot and above all the dealer showed me a good, not too expensive book on the subject.
I bought one vase - I just had to have one!


The generic term for all the West German pottery of the 60s and 70s is fat lava pottery. But in reality only some of it should be referred to as lava pottery.

You can see that a glaze was developed to mimic the lava from a volcano.
This was made at the Roth pottery. I paid £35.

It is some of the very finest pieces of Roth which go for £200 or more.











Another famous ceramic factory is Carlton Ware.
Maybe I have now bought my last piece of it.
I bought a 1930s style model of a liner with the Carlton Ware back stamp.
Except it is a fake.
I can see now that there were clues as to its authenticity - but I though it looked stylish enough to enhance the display of my wares.










My research told me that these ships are fakes.
Now I realise that the pen work for the name of the ship is very amateurish.
I shall still try to sell it - but because I know it is fake I just can't label it without that information.
Sad! Quite a lot of the collectable ceramics of the past are being faked.

But another lesson learned.

We had eggs bendict again in Woking Wetherspoons. I cut mine up into very small pieces and it took ages to eat - but it was tasty and good.

We got home for Bill to watch the Grand Prix and for me to dabble on the Crawley memories site.
We have been to the old swimming pool and to the old track. I put on  a picture of Mary Decker Slaney at the official opening of the all weather track in 1985. People have liked it and lots of people could remember Richard Slaney.
We have been to Smalls Mead - people know many of the families who lived in this first New Town road.
One contributor has the surname Verlander. So I asked if there was a connection with Bob Verlander who worked at Boxall and Collins. Yes - there is a connection but not very close.
Then somebody else with the surname Harris Gulgolka told me that her father used to work with Bob Verlander. Immediately I could see Stan (from Lithuania or some such country). I worked with these 2 men up in the top room of Victoria Garage in the stores. Bob and Stan were stock taking, and I, using an adding machine totted up the totals of what each section was worth. She is so pleased to find somebody who knew him.
This group adds yet another dimension to things I can both get for myself and contribute to by using my computer.

The joy of this morning has melted away. Harry cat has not felt able to eat anything else. If he can't eat, then sadly he can't live.
He is still so loving and doesn't really look very ill.
But it seems time is running out for him.