Wednesday, November 07, 2012

 

Harry

I spent much of the night wishing for a death.
Then in the morning, when I saw Harry I felt desperate for at least one more week.
I guess I knew it was a vain hope - or why was I crying? I felt like my heart would break. How could I pick up little Harry and take him to die?
That's how he got his name, of course.....I picked him up.
The 2 little kittens came from Wiltshire, My brother bought them to us. Naturally Bill and I just wanted to pick them up, they were so enchanting. We decided that the one Bill picked up would be named after his father - that was George. And the little one I picked up was named after my father - Harry.


Dad did meet his namesake.




















George takes over parenting duties - giving Harry a wash.
















They were always together. And yet, Harry didn't seem to be at all concerned when George "disappeared".
Good old George, he saved us lots of heart ache by just dying, at home, during the night. That was two and half years ago now.
Harry didn't do that. This morning he gave me just a bit of hope. He was eager to lick the sauce from the expensive cat food I bought yesterday. And he ran down the stairs when he realised I had pulled the curtains without him. That was part of our routine - I would give him a cuddle and then take him to look out of each of the windows as I pulled the curtains.
But I cried.
We were at the vet's at 10 o'clock - me trying to suppress those tears.
Lawrence was just brilliant. But he did strongly advise not to wait - no week's reprieve.
I had to agree.
Whilst Lawrence was out of the room preparing things - guess what, I calmly took Harry to the window and talked to him about what we could see. We were actually being given that time together first.
Death came within seconds - very, very quick.
Lawrence said that this was a sure sign that his body had already shut down.
I continued to talk to him and stroke him. I felt we would have been given as much time as I needed.
But I was calm. We had done the right thing.
I so thank Lawrence for making the experience as peaceful and good as it possibly could be.
Huh! Just when we find a wonderful vet, we have no pets.
The first thing I did when we got home was to clear away all his dishes and the tray they sat on - wanted reminders out of the way. This evening the space is a much more poignant reminder.
Now for a few more pictures.



Actually that is George on the plate. You can just see Harry on Ashley's lap.
They both loved Ashley lots.






































George on the left and Harry on the right.







This afternoon we had the task of telling Frieda.
At first I thought she had failed to understand.
I am thankful that we will not have to leave Harry in her care again.

There has been talk of...what next?
I can't actually see us being cat free for too long. I have spent almost all my life with the company of cats.
But we would definitely wait until about next June - after we have been to Thailand.
When I told Lawrence I had always wanted a ginger cat, he told me that ginger cats are always male. I didn't know that. But that's OK - we normally have male cats.