Wednesday, June 13, 2012

 

Slaugham Lake in Sussex.

Carpe Diem was the cry!
I peered through the curtains to see blue skies. The little birds were flitting and twittering in our tree and bumble bees were busy investigating the foxgloves.
We had been given a brief interlude of sunshine and joy before the next rains arrive.
We chose to get out and enjoy it.
We opted for a walk that should keep us on solid paths and was not too far from home. Our destination was Slaugham (pronounced Slaffum), less than ten miles away.
I know we stopped in the village once many, many years ago. It would have been before the days of Google. More often we have stopped and walked at Slaugham Pond.
This morning I googled. I discovered a walk, which I aim to do which includes Slaugham and its neighbour, Warninglid. We decided that after all the rain, this would not be the day for it. Too muddy!
The route of the walk was by the side of a large lake - much bigger than the familiar pond.
Well, from the church we walked a little way, and the path was not too muddy and wet.
We kept on walking, with meadows around us - natural meadows with an abundance of wild flowers.
Soon we could see the lake.
A small stream trickled from the lake and gathered pace; the waters would meet up with other small streams and form the River Ouse, which flows to the sea at Newhaven.
Today I shall share pictures (my pictures only today) of the lake.
Bill didn't sort his pictures this afternoon - he seized the day again and got the lawns cut.
There are other photos of the church and the village. I'll post them tomorrow maybe.





































The daisies look fantastic this year.
They obviously appreciated a warm early spring followed by much rain.


















Oh how I love dog roses.
































It was a morning for smiling and being aware of just how happy I could be.

I felt we had discovered a tiny piece of a kind of paradise which has been right on our doorstep for all our lives - and we never knew.






















The damsel flies were enjoying the warmth too.












A reminder that rain had been falling  not so long ago.
Isn't it lovely how the drops are clinging to the edge of the leaf.
My eyes were on the jewel-like raindrops - I didn't even see the fly.





























And, of course, I finish with a reflection.