Friday, June 08, 2012

 

Rough seas at Rottingdean and Brighton Marina.

I am happy to say that my man proved to be as crazy as me; we went to the seaside!
The wind was mighty powerful and the sea was rough and churning and foamy far out to the horizon.
We stopped first at Rottingdean, a village nestling in a valley  between the white cliffs. Those cliffs make a splendid backdrop for the sea and it is possible to walk for a long way along the undercliff path.
































I found it hard to stand still, the wind was attempting to knock me off  my feet.












Flowers growing on the beach were untroubled by the weather.
It was not raining and and at times the  sky was blue.












Bill under the white cliffs. You can see that my camera lens is not clean.
The spray  flew into our faces - and our cameras.
Bill was more careful than me and his photos seem not to be affected by salt on the lens.
Our lips tasted salty.


















That must have been so exhilarating!


You might say that I was having trouble with the wind!

Yes, it really was difficult walking into the howling gale.


















Now we are at Brighton Marina.
The sea is flying over the wall by the lifeboat station.
I hope the lifeboats were not needed today.
Surely people were wise enough to stay by the shore?
I hope my cousin was not called out in the bad conditions on his lifeboat.









Pollution or art?
Oil on water.






















We got to the east end of the marina and peered over the wall.
What did we see? Not a shoal of shiny black seals as could have been thought, but surfers having fun.
I saw very few of them actually get to a standing position.




You can see the dip in the cliffs where Rottingdean is situated - beneath the windmill on the hill.


We stopped at The West Quay (Wetherspoons), where Bill took the opportunity to demonstrate that he truly is crazy.

We had toasted sandwich/panini - very good and filling, with a goodly pile of crisp chips and a drink for £3.99 each.
Quite a bargain I thought -  especially as I didn't need anything else for the rest of the day.














Then we walked round to the west side of the marina - where all the wind was coming from.
Wow!
The sea was so rough and churned up.



What a lovely day out.
Not crazy at all to go to the seaside on such a day.

Pictures by both Grandma P and Grandad B.