Monday, June 04, 2012

 

Street Party Part 1

My street party blog is in two parts.
I will begin with pictures that show family. The second part, which follows this one contains much more general views of the day and the people.

 I begin with a house - the house I grew up in.

I love wisteria - there was none growing there in my day.

I have to say that I really enjoyed meeting so many new arrivals to the street (and neighbouring streets), but I was also surrounded by all the folks who used to live there too.

I enjoyed chatting to people about the street in the 1950s.













The first diners.
Otto and his friend who lives next door.


















Ruth in pearls and Union Jack.



















Has somebody lost their crown?
Jenny looks for King Otto.


















Ruth, in charge of the raffle.
















King Otto and the soldier.



















A mug for the soldier - King Otto waits his turn.

I am sure some of the children almost felt like they were meeting the Queen herself.
Mel was so gracious and lovely with them all.
















Not family, but I include this one because Gerald read the eulogy at Dad's funeral.













 Self portrait with Vera.
Vera, at 93, was probably the oldest there.
She was interested in the camera and was amazed to learn that I could take photos of myself.
So, of course I just had to show her.









Ruth and Otto.


















Grandma  P in red white and blue.



















Now for some photos by Bill.



Sweet girls - seemed genuinely interested in life in the olden days.


















Jenny and Felix.
Looks like this was during one of the drizzly rain spells, early on.


















Felix.
















Long live King Otto.







































 Not family, but so important to us.
This is Dr O who looks after our health so superbly.
He must also look after his own health.
He will return to work on Wednesday after radiotherapy for cancer.















Now scroll down for Part 2.