Thursday, May 31, 2012

 

Tewkesbury

Last weekend we were based in Tewkesbury - a lovely abbey town in Gloucestershire.
The river Avon joins the river Severn just south of the town.
We enjoyed a short walk beside the river before attending a family wedding.


Poppies in the front gardens of riverside cottages.


























































































The 11th century abbey is beautiful and full of history.

But something felt wrong to me.....money grabbing.
I am fully aware that all old buildings, including religious buildings need money to keep them maintained.
I had put a donation in their collecting box as we entered.
But the first thing you see when you enter the abbey is a machine....a machine to accept your credit card.
I felt uncomfortable with that.

After I had taken my photo, I was approached and told that I could obtain a permit to take photographs....at a cost.

Never mind, there are many photos on the internet.
I presume the photographer who took the next superb shot had a permit.










The photographer also had some splendid equipment to be able to include entire windows and the fantastic decorated ceiling.


Street scene, including The Royal Hop Pole Hotel.
We visited it twice.
On the morning of the wedding we called in for toasted tea cakes (4) and  drinks. £3.14! Good value eh?
It is a Wetherspoon's establishment.





What a wonderful old building.

The following morning we met up with others and enjoyed breakfast in the garden, by the river.

















Lots of  alleyways in Tewkesbury.
we walked through Lilley's Alley to get back to the abbey.