Wednesday, May 30, 2012

 

The temperature fell.

Is that it then? Is summer over?
This evening we have been at the Brighton track and felt cold - very cold.
We watched as sea mist flowed over the top of the hill, falling down upon the sports arena.
We had dressed as if summer would go on for ever.
Bill got away for a minute and brought blankets from the car.
It was quite a prestigious meeting, with electric timekeeping. I began by recording the times on my watch and the electric times, so that I could at some point work out how well I had done.
But as the evening progressed, and we all sort of lost the will to care, I regret I gave it all up.
There were some top class races. One of our timekeepers watched the creme de la creme of 800 metre runners from this region with great interest. Would anybody beat his ground record for the distance?
That record stands for another year.
Chris Carter ran in both the Tokyo and Mexico Olympics.
And with my normal bedtime hour passed, that will be all for now.
I must sort out some warmer clothes to wear to Ford and Littlehampton tomorrow.