Tuesday, May 22, 2012

 

Peony and wasp's nest.

At last!
Today felt like summer. It was a day to savour and cherish.
The back door has been open all day - fresh air and warmth in the house and the sound of wonderful birdsong.
I have been gently pottering - shop accounts, writing up more stuff on the dining room table - that sort of thing.
This afternoon I was out for a while - an appointment at our medical centre to see the osteoporosis nurse.
Waste of time really.
I can only say that from my point of view it looks like she has a real cushy job.
She chats blandly about getting more calcium and that I should have a blood test once a year.
When I offer up my queries, she is a bit stumped.
She shook her head when I asked about the jaw pain - no, that is not a side effect.
Then later admitted that necrosis of the jaw can happen.
And I just shouldn't have my teeth out! Tell that to my dentist!
Tell my remaining teeth!
She couldn't offer any comment about the pains in my foot and the ankle that rolls inwards.
She just said if it gets worse then I should see somebody - an expert in bones.
Hell's teeth - she is an osteoporosis nurse and runs a "fracture clinic".
But she hasn't spoiled my day.
I am back at the medical centre again on Thursday for my Vitamin B12 injection.I need it. I can feel many of the symptoms of B12 deficiency. My fault for not making an appointment when I should have.
Having worked through the idea that I might be too run down to sell at  a car boot sale on Thursday morning, I  have changed my mind.
It would feel uplifting to clear the garage a bit.
I will make a final sort through tomorrow.
Talking of the garage - we had to evict a creature from there today.
I am all for being kind to animals, but there are some that I would rather don't exist in my world.


She was busily working on the garage ceiling.
I am full of admiration for her work.
But she couldn't be allowed to continue.











From directly under the growing nest.
She wasn't worried about our presence.
She continued her work - what craftmanship!



















And look - there is an egg in one of the hexagonal cavities.

We have a permanent picture - but the wasp and the nest are no more. Just imagine how big the nest would have become - and just how many wasps would have been plaguing us in the garden later in the summer.


The peonies in the front garden are looking good.
There is a mass of peony greenery and many, many buds - just a few blooms so far.
We have too many really - but we can't dig them up and discard them.
These peonies are sentimental mementoes.

They grew along the back wall of Bill's parents' house and were his mother's pride and joy.





















































This bud is almost open.
I think it looks like a bird's nest with three hungry chicks waiting to be fed.