Monday, June 04, 2012

 

World Record Holder

Greetings from a world record holder!
All that is needed is for The Guinness Book of Records to ratify the proceedings and we will be able to look back on being part of the world record for the number of people all together in one place, wearing crowns.
Bill and I had agreed to be there as timekeepers and to assist with the sorting of the numbers.
There were also two accountants there.
Each person going into the basket ball court was given a raffle ticket so that it was easy to see how many went in.
As they were getting towards the number needed to break the record (250) it almost seemed like they might not make it. So Bill and I got crowns and took tickets.
In the event 313 went into the court, wearing crowns.
Each person had to hand in their ticket on the way out of a different exit. We counted 299 tickets.
Stewards had also counted about 8 who did not keep their crowns on all the time.
The figure 299 has been declared the official number and that is world beating.
Good grief - surely it is only in the UK that such a record attempt might ever be envisaged?
I took loads of photos.
Tomorrow I shall have to see how I can get them to the organisers - The Tykes Pre School Playgroup.
I thought I could just upload them to their facebook page, like I did with the street party pictures; but so far it doesn't seem to be possible.
Anyway her are just 4 for your benefit.









Just a small sample of crown wearers.













Two days running we have been with the mayor.
Today we had a cup of tea with them before the event.
Bill and the Lady Mayoress realised that they had been close neighbours and at the same school.


A right royal timekeeper.




















I wore my official blazer to promote the idea that I was indeed somebody very official.


















Afterwards we went for a very late lunch at The Jubilee Oak in the town - the cheap afternoon deal.

This evening we have been watching The Jubilee concert. Generally very good and wonderfully staged.
My only criticism is to wonder why we needed any American singers - surely there is enough talent in the UK and Commonwealth.
Fireworks were brilliant.
I wish I could have been there - though standing all that time would have been hard, or even impossible.
Well done Gary Barlow for organising it.....I have been a follower of his since he was about 12. He won a Christmas carol writing competition on a lunchtime TV programme and I never forgot my pleasure at his song and his performance.