Monday, December 19, 2011

 

Pleasures and Set Backs

Much selling today and some buying.
I had to pop out and do a bit of shopping and amongst my purchases were Lemsip and Strepsils....now that tells you a little about what sort of day it has been for me.
Throat is sore!
Bother!
My first thought on arriving at the shop....well, after the "My goodness it's cold in here!" was one of pleasure to see the mahjong game gone. I hadn't really wanted to buy it and so last week I put the price down to what I paid for it, in hope of seeing the back of it.
Pleasure was dampened considerably when I heard that Jo's husband is in hospital. I phoned her. He is very ill indeed. He is over 80 and has a number of serious health problems. This may be the end. Poor Jo.
The result of this phone call is that I (or we) will be covering her duty tomorrow. She says she will go in for a couple of hours and I (or we) will be there by half past twelve so that she can spend all afternoon at the hospital.
I love Jo and would always wish to help her - and will do Tuesday duties for her as long as she needs me to.
Pleasure increased later on when I saw a familiar face looking in at the window - though for a moment I hesitated.....Donna looked different without a stop watch hanging from her neck!
Donna will feature in The Mirror just after Christmas on the 5th anniversary of her liver transplant. I shall have to have a daily peer into this paper in the shop to buy it on the day she is featured.
Mme Julie bothered me. We have hardly seen her.
She came in and we were all busy and chatting - not taking enough notice of Julie.
I did hear her repeat something twice - louder the second time. But nobody responded just at that moment.
She went out very hurriedly and we didn't see her again until she pulled up in her car, almost 3 hours later, to pick up her bags. Even then she hardly wanted to stop a moment more than necessary.
Monika and I must have upset her very much by not hanging on to her every word.
I have yet to sort out my sales for the week.
That is a time consuming pleasure still to come.
Another pleasure was giving Monika her substitute Christmas card. It was a sceond hand book, a cookery book - and it was just perfect for her and she loved it.
The weather was frustratingly awful. I know people don't want the inconvenience (and dangers) of snow; but really I would prefer snow to the heavy rain on a cold day that we experienced today.
Time for an early night - I will seek out the jar of Vick Vapour rub, to soothe me into sleep.
I need to be fit if I am to do what I can for Jo.