Sunday, December 11, 2011

 

Old and the young at athletics.

Today I shall picture some old fogies!
Without the continued enthusiasm of officials who have grown old within the world of athletics, I am sorry to say, very little would happen at grass roots level these days.
I am 67 - and I am one of the younger ones!
We have been timekeeping this afternoon for the young athletes sports hall athletics in Horsham.
It was a lively, noisy afternoon!
I was chief timekeeper. My team was very managable - just 2 others.
There was very little time for taking photographs - race follows race in quick succession.

My team (Bill and Derek) chatting with Keith.
The topic of conversation was the future demolishing of Horsham sports centre and track.
Terrible!
Tescos need the land it seems.

Oh, and Keith is younger than me! But not by much.
When we were first involved Keith was a very good 800 metre runner.







Clive takes  the name of a Brighton entrant in the shot competition.
Clive - father of Gareth Southgate, international footballer, manager and now turned football pundit on TV.
Gareth used to run in the same teams as Jamie and Ashley.....30 years ago.





This one is for the amusement of Stella!
Look, young ones, even the elderly like to play around!
I had quite a chat with Derek about the festivities. He hates Christmas!
So, we had a lot of views to share.






John keeps a firm grasp on the scores.
Shock horror in this match - Crawley boys didn't win! They were beaten by Horsham. Congratulations to our friendly rivals.
Crawley girls won.
John has been organising these sports hall meetings and keeping all the records straight since the first match - 30 years ago.










Dominic passes the baton to Jamie in 1981.












By the way - I don't actually hate Christmas. It is part of our history and culture. For the most part it has its heart in the right place.  But, it seems, that very  few people that I know like what it has become. For many it is a time of fear, stress and unwanted obligations - and who has created this malaise? Why, the big multi national companies who manipulate society for greater and greater profits. I am sad to see it so. Sad to hear of people's fears of not being able to match the perfect expectations of the TV ads. Sad to realise that people would now rather not be very involved.

This evening, of course, it has been a TV evening.
Yes - the X Factor final. The main man came second - best place to be, maybe. He is more able now to steer his own course. I am sad for him tonight - but not too sad.

Labels: