Saturday, December 10, 2011

 

Christmas hits Littlehampton.

I don't think Bill is any worse for his long morning on the south coast.
Yes, he's still chesty - but I think some fun and fresh air did him good.

We left home in temperatures of minus 4 degrees.
It was still dark and we stopped for a moment in Downland Drive to attempt pictures of the huge setting full moon.
My pictures are not good enough - maybe Bill has one.
I kept the camera with me in the car and took a few snaps as we travelled.

Dawn has broken across the South Downs; the sun has not yet risen and white hoar frost covers the fields.


Arundel Castle before sunrise.


Bill at Ford. He buys quite often from these sellers.
Today he bought model soldiers.

We both bought lots at Ford this morning.
It was a huge sale today.
We had been walking around at Ford for a couple of hours - we were ready for breakfast.
We met up with other people who had been at the boot sale -
a man in a wheel chair and his partner carer. They are off to Malta for 3 weeks.
It is good to be in such a wam and friendly place for Saturday breakfast.

In fact Littlehampton was feeling very friendly this morning with a Christmas Market in the High Street.


Father Christmas outfits and elves were everywhere!














And ice queens.


There were stalls, tombolas, fair ground attractions and music.



































With reindeers about, chewing on some hay, we knew that Father Christmas couldn't be too far away.
The queue of parents and toddlers  told us that he was in a wooden hut.
We didn't catch a glimpse of him.















By the clock tower was a drumming band.
I loved it.
I want to be in a band like that!
It was fun to listen to - must have been even more fun to perform.
I wonder if Crawley has something similar.












As you can see the band members were of all ages.






























At home we unloaded our purchases.
We have some Christmas cards to send to people we don't see very often, but we really care about.
I bought a couple of items of clothing too - and a hat.
I am very pleased with these things.
On the left is an enamel meat safe - dating from the 1930s.
The dolls are lovely. A very pleasant couple from Southampton are at Ford sometimes and if I see them I normally buy from them.


My new hat. It is a Marks and Spencers hat.
It cost me £1 from our favourite house clearance man.





















During the afternoon I had to send invoices to people who had bought things on EBay. I must deal with the payments that have come in before going to bed.

This evening I have had the TV on - how strange, I seem to have fallen for a member of the pop group McFly! Definitely low on my list of favoured pop groups. But their drummer, Harry, sure can dance and seems like a thoroughly decent person.
I trust the great British public will see him through to be champion.
Its been a pleasant, mellow evening with a bottle of red wine on the go.