Tuesday, December 13, 2011

 

Scrooge makes an appearance

Beware! Scrooge has escaped from my heart!
Bah Humbug!
It should be a time of peace and goodwill - and now I feel tense and cross.
And worst of all I feel that my malaise is because I am such a dreadful person.
If only I were a better person I would sail through the yuletide season with no worries.
I have tried to be good and make plans for doing the right things for Christmas.
But my good intentions have stabbed me in the back.
Today I have dealt with Christmas cards. Why?
I haven't done it like I used to do it.... it was such a chore then, taking days to complete. Once upon a time I sorted out over 100 cards to send. I felt that people should get a personal message and many had a copy of my Christmas news letter too. I felt the news part and the personal greetings were important. I feel such a let down when a card arrives merely with the names of the sender - well, they are alive then! If there has been no communication from one year to the next then why suddenly do we have to send cheap coloured cards to each other? By the time I had finished I had begun to wish that Chrsitmas time didn't exist.
Today was easier than those times. I have done the Christmas letter, written and addressed 25 cards.
This means that 75+ people will not get a Christmas card from us.
The 75 who will be deprived are those that I have been in communication with; the people who I have cared about and who have cared about me enough to keep communication going.
I will try to make it up to them.
I suppose there is a degree of anger within me that I have ignored my own wishes and feelings and been sucked into the world of society expectations.
At least I have time now, before Christmas Day to settle down again so that I can enjoy one family day. I love my family and I love family days whenever they occur and I do look forward to a Wiltshire Christmas Day.
OK - that's got that off my chest.
I know I am not alone in my feelings; on the other hand there will be some people reading this who feel baffled. How can anybody, they think, not enjoy Christmas? How can anybody not enjoy all the anticipation and preparations?

I did escape from the cards for a while to post EBay parcels. Then I went with Bill to the hospital for his routine blood test and we did a bit of Asda shopping.
I have a few items of EBay to deal with now - the last until "after Christmas".
Then bed.