Monday, November 14, 2011

 

Bill in a hat at Pilgrim's

I didn't buy very much at Ford on Saturday.....so how come it took me all morning to get those things on the shelves in Pilgrims?
Well, of course one or two things had to be moved, which led to one or two more things being moved and so on.

But we did have time to sit with cups of tea and lemon drizzle cake.
Thank you Monika.

I spent a while helping Chris again this week...."You remember me don't you?" he asks as he walks in.
His carer had given him £10 to spend on antiques!
It is my job to steer him to anything that might be worth having and would interest him - and also to see if he would like something of mine!
Bother - he didn't want the dog ornament that I have had for months and would like to be rid of.
Finally I think I did well for him. He had a vase of Julie's and a mug commemorating the 1st moon landing, of mine.
I wonder how and why he went all wrong.
He knew the name of the first man on the moon.
He was fascinated that Julie was French and told us he liked French at school.
When he left I asked if he could remember how to say "Goodbye" in French....and he could, with a good accent too.

Talking of French, I give you now another comment on a school report of my brother Robin's French. Different teacher this time. "He is not really with us".

Bill was busy this afternoon selling furniture - not his, of course. A young man came and bought 3 items, all of which had lots of small items on them.
One of the things was a tallboy - exactly the same as the one we had at home when I was a child, in my parents' bedroom.  It was basic wartime utility furniture. This one had been presented in the shabby chic style with uneven paintwork.
Yesterday I actually saw the family tallboy.
Jenny and Ruth don't want it.
I don't want it either.
If Roger, or anybody else in the family doesn't want it, I know that Monika would be interested in taking it on as a project for her new venture. She is using a section of a shop two doors down the road from Pilgrims to display just such furniture and items that fit the current trends.
To be discussed!

I yearned to buy something today that Jo had for sale.
It's a hat.
But not just any old hat.
It should be had by a collector of old Crawley items - but I am not a museum and don't feel justified in spending out £40.

This will mean something only to people who lived in Crawley many years ago.

Fogden's moved from The High Street....when?
They had a shop in the new town centre....but for how long?















If only Bill would concede that he looks good in a hat or could be bothered with one.
I would buy it for him, if only he would wear it.

Labels: