Wednesday, November 09, 2011

 

Wardour and the Arundells of Wiltshire.

I haven't been out far today - but my work has taken me to Wiltshire.

I have described 6 more books for EBay.....not so much work as a time consuming pleasure. I tend to spend time reading the books - after all I must give a true and honest description of what the books contain. And I often get interested.
One of the books has been out on a shelf in the garage since May 2010.
Today it takes centre stage and hopefully will grab somebody's attention.
It is about a family that I was reading about only a few days ago - a family from Wiltshire.
The Arundells had  lived in an old castle since 1544, although it is quite a bit older than that.
One hundred years later the Arundells got on the wrong side in the English Civil War and their castle, Wardour Castle was destroyed.
So they built a new castle, where the family lived until 1944 - when the last Arundell died.
My book, Wardour and The Arundells - Not So Long Ago is about family life during the first half of the 20th century. It includes the lives of those both above and below stairs.

Very recently my brother visited the ruins of the old castle.
I have "stolen" one of his pictures.

The new castle, not really a castle at all, is not far away. It is now a school.

This picture is stolen from Wikipedia.












And here is my book, featuring the Arundell family in about 1928.


The tall man was the last Lord Arundell. He was captured during WW2 and spent time in Colditz. His health deteriorated so much that he was moved to a German sanitorium. From there he was sent home to die. He died from TB in Sptember 1944.











So you see, EBay is much more than a means to make some money. It provides many opportunities to explore and learn new things.

Labels: