Sunday, November 06, 2011

 

Woking and Wells

Woking!
A chance to buy and a chance to learn.
The other day Roger wrote about a book (John Halifax Gentleman by Mrs Craik) that had been a favourite of my my father's.
I remember it on the shelves; and I also remember books by today's favourite - H G Wells.
Having read up a bit about the life of HG, I wondered if it were possible that my father (another HG) might have been somewhat in awe of the man. Mr Wells had so much in common (philosophy and politics) with my Dad - though not the writing of fiction.
As a young man it is possible that my Dad might have modelled himself a little on Wells. Who knows?
And why do I think of H G Wells today?
Well he lived in Woking.
Not only that, but HGW had Martians landing on Horsell Common just outside the town and taking over Woking itself in The War of the Worlds.

Today I had breakfast in the company of an H G Wells character.


This sculpture of The Invisible Man sits in the window of a Wetherspoon's pub in Woking.
The Invisible Man is reading the book about himself!


Just how does a sculptor set about creating an image of something invisible?
It is very striking.













There are also ceiling lights in the pub, illustrating pages from War of the Worlds.
































I believe this to be a print of an H G Wells self portrait.

























I do appreciate the way the Wetherspoon's company attempt to capture something of the environment in which each is situated.
There are large photos of old Woking around the walls and details of other famous people who have connections with the town.
They seemed to have missed out Derek Griffiths - one of the stalwarts of Play School onTV in the 1970s!
Of course I also appreciate the value and quality of food and drink on offer.
This particular pub has won awards from the Real Ale association for the wide range of local real ales for sale.
I could have had beer this morning with my breakfast.....indeed Bill was asked if I wanted a cup of tea or a pint!
The Hog's Back Brewery make a beer called TEA!

One day
I'll be back
for the pint!























Then it was time for a walk - and to be accosted by a "monstrous tripod, higher than the tallest steeple".
But not taller than the modern buildings now found in Woking.































It is a modern sculpture (1998), depicting just how H G Wells described the creatures from space who took over the world - and so terrified the Americans when they heard the play on the radio!

We were home by about 2 o'clock.
We settled down to sort our purchases.


We bought a couple of retro items with thoughts of Christmas in mind - things other people can buy for their loved one.
The jug is  white enamel, decorated with decoupage.
The waste paper bin is old wood, similarly done up.
Certainly appealing to both of us!





























The other side of the WPB.
Maybe Bill should keep it - by chance the car at the bottom has a very similar number plate to his first mini. That was 853 JBP.

Labels: