Monday, August 22, 2011

 

Mrs Mopp the shop cleaner.

I have worked hard today in Dorking - though not with my own business, or indeed, hardly at all with customers.
I took it upon myself to clean the kitchen.
At one stage I felt I was taking over some responsibility for keeping the kitchen neat and tidy; but others began to bring in towels and I wondered if I was pushing somebody else out.
But I was noticing that towels were never taken home to wash.
So today I began again at looking after the place.
Oh how I wish I had not even looked in the cutlery tray!
The back room was once a cafe, so I presume that cleanliness and hygiene were very much part of the cafe organiser's routine. But that closed over 3 years ago.
Today I did something that nobody has done for those 3 years - I lifted cutlery to reveal the congealed black gunge at the bottom of the cutlery tray.
Well, having looked, I had to do something about it - and wash all the cutlery.
I think the tidy cleaner kitchen will be noticed - but I doubt that anybody would know of the cutlery tray!
But I feel proud of making a difference and I don't need it to be noticed.
Though I wish that people would wash up properly - rather than a quick rinse under the cold tap.
Sales have been a bit sparse today - there were none for me! But Bill sold a model car.
We watched a very interesting programme about snow this evening - and yes, the wrong type of snow actually does exist!
We were reminded that the worst avalanche that has occurred in this country was in Sussex - Lewes.
I think I had a notion in my head that this was no more than a country legend, despite cycling past The Snow Drop Inn very many times. I am happy to have it confirmed as fact.
I wonder what is going on and will go on in Libya. Is Gadaffi going to end as a damp squib or has he got something up his sleeve?