Wednesday, August 17, 2011

 

Computerised scans and electric timekeepers.

Off to the hospital this morning.
The first task was to drink a big jug of water - sat there for an hour, doing sudoku puzzles.
Then into the scanner room.
"Just a small scratch" he says. It hurt - but hey, he got the cannula in first time, so mustn't grumble.
It is bruising well now, though.
The dye was injected into my veins - feels peculiar.
CT scans are so much easier and quicker now than 20 years ago.
Soon it was done.

Home to sort out lunch.
Jane and Geoff called in just as we were finishing.
Hooray! I didn't have to consider doing anything "useful".

Later to the track at Brighton.
I was not chief - managed to persuade, perhaps, the best timekeeper in the country to do the job.
Ha - Stella....can you guess who I am referring to?
I worked on first place with Dave Vidler - have known him for years. He always was a bit of a timekeeping automaton!
We don't meet up very often these days.
We were working with electrics and I was not at all bad - just not quite consistent enough. My average error at the end of the evening was  under 4 hundredths of a second.
But Dave? How does he do it?
His average error was only just over 1 hundredth of a second. So many times his watch stopped at exactly the same moment as the electric, digital clock.
"Bingo" we call that.
I was quite proud that twice I was actually better than he was!

It grew quite chilly as the evening wore on - just a little autumnal.
I abandoned notions of going down to the sea front for some chips. We drove home instead and had parsnip and ginger soup.

Tomorrow I am off to the shop again. I am much happier to offer to do other peoples' days so that they can cover our missing Mondays when we are in Thailand. I don't want to be paying somebody £30 a day to cover our duties.